WallStreet - Money Never Sleeps - comments

Discussion in 'Trading' started by limitdown, Sep 21, 2010.

1. #31     Sep 21, 2010
  2. BCE

BCE

Wonder if our names will be listed in the credits? Hmmm. It may be under "Special Consultants" or just "Including". Looking for some different kind of tux for the Academy Awards. I would imagine we should each receive our own Oscar. :D

#32     Sep 21, 2010
  3. BCE

BCE

Here are some quotes from the original Wall Street. Some good ones. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wall_Street_(film) I bought the Blu-ray disc for this at Best Buy a few weeks ago for $12.99. :) A classic.

#33     Sep 21, 2010
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

"Gekko’s big speech in the sequel comes near the beginning, and in two minutes, it does as good a job summarizing what went wrong with the economy as anything out there. Past “I once said greed is good…and now it seems it’s legal” that’s a staple of the film’s trailers, it lays out the case rapid fire: Greed makes my bartender buy three houses he can’t afford…my parents borrow $250,000 against a house worth $200,000…we take a buck, we shoot it full of steroids, we call it leverage…40 percent of profits come from financial institutions rather than producing things…CDOs, CDSs, they’re actually WMDs…when I went away, greed, it seems, got greedier, with a bit of envy…"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...don-gekkos-secret-revealed/?cid=hp:mainpromo7

#34     Sep 22, 2010
  5. BCE

BCE

And it goes on. Right now in LA the owner or owners of the Dodgers, the McCourts, are involved in a nasty divorce proceeding to see who owns the team. And it's come out in the trial that they leveraged the $400 million the team is worth to borrow another $400 million which they spent on real estate, etc. And now if the team is declared community property they may be forced to sell it as neither has enough net worth to keep it in that case. The beat goes on.

#35     Sep 22, 2010
  6. "Every dream has a price."

Met a former CME floor trader a few years ago who was starting out trading again - off-floor pair trading, I believe he said.

On the floor and fortunate to be on the "right $ide" of a trade at the 1987 "October Crash", he was able to move his family to California with the proceeds, buy a house for cash and live a nice life for twenty years. But he was still bothered by the guilt of so "luckily" highly profiting by the Crash and the thought of some of his "on the wrong side of the trade" buddies in shock and throwing up in the CME restroom, having lo$t everything.

#36     Sep 23, 2010
  7. #37     Sep 23, 2010
  8. #38     Sep 23, 2010
  9. How many of you dress like that?

#39     Sep 23, 2010
  10. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Only when I am at home. When I go out, I like to be a bit more classy : Marble shoes, smoked salmon tailored suits...:D

#40     Sep 23, 2010