Wall Street Job-Hunter Chronicle

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by knocks420, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Everyone wants to trade for a living, sit on the beach on the islands and make a couple K everyday but thats an illusion for most people, and maybe even for me too!?!? So maybe I'll knock on a few doors, send out some resumes and work in an office dowtown till that day comes?

#11     Apr 5, 2006
  2. I had an interview today. It went pretty well I think. It's with an independent equity-research/trading group. They basically present ideas to hedgies in order to solicit trading volume for their trading department. Kinda you scratch my back, I scratch yours sorta thing.

I have to say I'm totally relieved this wasn't some stockbroker or cold-calling job. I jumped on the bus from DC at 7 am and would have hated to come all this way for a job I probably wouldn't take. But these guys are legit and were all pretty friendly.

That being said, the job isn' that glamorous at first. Obviously you gotta start at the bottom. Probably a lot of administrative work, arranging meetings, ad hoc stuff, but since its a pretty small firm, I can assist in research, sales or tradig. It gives someone new to Wall Street a really good opportunity to work on alot of things (I hope) Let's see if they make me an offer?

BTW, the recruiter who hooked me up with the Goldman interview left the recruiting firm! I new he wanted to get back into trading himself- so I assume thats what he did. Hopefully I can find a way to stay in touch with him. It's never too early to start networking!

#12     Apr 7, 2006
  3. Ok, so in one of my many rejection letters I found an interesting twist. Even though I got rejected, they are looking for referals and willing to pay a fee. The position was with a hedge fund, looks like takeover/turnaround, debt, not too much info on their website.

So I guess if your looking for a job with a hedge fund, PM or something and I can forward your resume.

#13     Apr 9, 2006
  4. jerryz

jerryz

let me guess. is this Chapman Capital? they've been gathering gathering resumes for years.

#14     Apr 10, 2006
  5. haha, that's right! Damn, I could've used 25K.

#15     Apr 10, 2006
  6. So this last position is a wierd scenario and like to get your feedback;

Last Friday, had an interview, seemed to go quite well. On Monday I called them and they told me they would like to extend an offer. About an hour later I got this email stating that I need to go in for a few days to see how I fit in. I said sure and asked up front if there would any comp. if no offer was made after that. Apparently they did not like this and thought I was making too big a deal about it. What do you guys think- I think it's fair and professional to ask up front rather then after the fact, even if the answer is 0???

#16     Apr 11, 2006
  7. mizer

mizer

You wanted to get paid for coming in for a few days so they could feel you out?

#17     Apr 11, 2006
  8. I agree with Mizer. Are u currently employed? If not, I would jump at the opportunity. Beggars can't be choosers bro.

#18     Apr 11, 2006
  9. I$land

I$land

Although they are required by law (in Canada anyways) to pay you for any type of training or tryout, it's not a good idea to ask if they will actually pay you if you don't get the job.

By asking that question you are actually putting doubts in their heads about considering hiring you. You are telling them you might actually fail or not reached their expectations.

You should be thinking there is no way in hell I'm not getting this job and you guys are dam right about considering hiring me.

You have to make them think you will bend down and take it like a man if it is required by the job ;)

#19     Apr 11, 2006
  10. Maybe I havn't had thay many jobs buy I've never heard of a firm saying come in for a few days to see how you fit in? What the hell is that all about :confused:

#20     Apr 11, 2006