Wall Street Art...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Sequoia, Sep 2, 2008.

1. i like some of your stuff, seq. i would not listen much to the naysayers--imagine if hirst posted that spin art here for 3 million--- no one could fathom that ANYONE would possibly pay ANYTHING for it. Just like my other faves basquiat and warhol-- either you KNOW or you don't.

in my opinion, come up with clever names and be a little more obtuse in execution and you will have serious winners.

surf

#41     Jan 19, 2009
  2. Sequoia

Sequoia

Hi Marketsurfer. Thanks for your constructive input.

#42     Jan 20, 2009
  3. Sequoia

Sequoia

#43     Jan 23, 2009
  4. Sequoia

Sequoia

#44     Feb 18, 2009
  5. Sequoia

Sequoia

#45     Mar 13, 2009
  6. Sequoia

Sequoia

#46     Jul 2, 2009
  7. your work has improved dramatically since i first saw it.

i like the rothko.

surf

#47     Jul 2, 2009
  8. Nice work, bit tempted to say the least, but given my trader mindset l would buy all your work, empty a Magnum .500 in your head and see the value of my holdings double :D

P.S. I am watching you....

#48     Jul 2, 2009
  9. Sequoia

Sequoia

LOL, thanks guys

#49     Jul 3, 2009
  10. Having a background in the art market, I can tell you that 2,000 USD for that work is way overvalued (especially now). Unless you can show a record in an art index (artprice came up empty) from a demand driven auction, I would say that there isn't a sufficient precedent to value your work that highly.

Even well known artists (the 2% that make money regularly) don't always sell for that much.

The following possibilites exist.

A. Either you got someone who really loved it and wanted it for any price (i.e. clueless sucker, which comprises about 99% of art market participants)

B. This is an attempt at pure market manipultion on your part (or that of the gallery). It happens all the time. Even Hirst pumps his own sh... uh... stuff.

What I am certain of is that there are plenty of street artists out there that could draw a better GG. This is simply a fact.

I kid you not! Art dealers and auctioneers make pit traders look like Archangels. The manipulation is about as bad as in the penny stock market.

#50     Jul 3, 2009