Wall St. Job Market Crumbling

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by cgtrader, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Have faith. It could be worse. You could have just finished your finance degree and be competing against experienced professionals. Seriously by the time you're finished we may be in a second boom.

#11     Mar 20, 2008
  2. That's what I'm doing. I have an associate's in Computer Science, a Bachelor's in Software Engineering, I'm finishing up a Master's in Finance in May, and I plan on "gutting" it one last time and getting an MBA in accounting...and all this while I'm working a full-time Software job. Yeah...my life sucks right now and I'm highly deep in student loan debt, but I also now have such a deep educational background that I should be quite set for the rest of my life and I'll have the ability to essentially pick almost any career path I want.

School = tons of work but also = complete life freedom. Well worth it even if it completely sucks while doing it.

#12     Mar 20, 2008
  3. pathus21

pathus21

Actually people get paid a substantial portion of their total comp in stock that they can't sell until it very slowly vests over a long period of time...

#13     Mar 20, 2008
  4. The higher you are on the food chain, the more you are paid with stock options that become vested usually in 5 years or more. AKA the golden handcuff.

That's why most of those bsc executives are so mad, they basically lost a portion of their bonus going back many years..

#14     Mar 21, 2008

5. Update:

Unemployed Banker Wears 'MIT Graduate for Hire' Sign

POSTED: 9:37 am EDT June 24, 2008
    UPDATED: 4:15 pm EDT June 24, 2008
    NEW YORK -- Call it a sign of the times. An unemployed banker has taken to the streets of Manhattan -- wearing a pinstriped suit and an "MIT Graduate for Hire" sign draped over his shoulders.

Joshua Persky, an unemployed financial engineer, says he'll be passing out resumes during the lunch hour all week.

On Monday and Tuesday, he promoted himself in front of the Charles Schwab building at 50th Street and Park Avenue.

Persky lost his job six months ago as an investment banking consultant.

His wife and five kids are moving to her native Nebraska while he continues to look for work in New York.

#15     Jun 24, 2008
  6. http://www.nysun.com/business/out-of-work-banker-employs-unusual-job-search/80563/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#16     Jun 24, 2008
  7. Aren't they predicting 175k job cuts over the next year on Wall Street?

#17     Jun 25, 2008
  8. No one is going to shed a tear for them...

"Jim Rogers — who is also short Citibank and Fannie Mae — says the excesses
    in financial markets have been far too great.

"You don't see any 29-year-old cotton farmers driving Maseratis,"
    Rogers says.

"But a lot of 29-year-olds on Wall Street are driving them. This is
    not the way the world is supposed to work.""

#18     Jun 25, 2008
  9. with 'deleveraging' and 'reduction of risk' you have less money for risky bonds and stocks and derivativies.

no more interest only loans.

#19     Jun 25, 2008
  10. it's about time these hedge funds, market makers, and banks are regulated like retail investors/traders when it comes to margins etc.

#20     Jun 25, 2008