Wall Mount or Monitor Stand?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ssblack, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ssblack

ssblack

Hi again,

I know this is personal preference, but it's late and I'm not thinking straight so I want some opinions.

I have a 17" Philips LCD Widescreen at the moment that I will be keeping for order entry and email/etc.

I will be adding 2 Dell 24" LCD Widescreens for charting in the next month.

I am at a loss as to whether or not I should do them mounted on the wall above my current 17", or get a stand and put them elsewhere along the desk.

My desk is in the corner and is very big, in an "L" shape that goes along 2 walls. I am leaning more towards the wall mounting but the issue is that I don't want the ugly cables hanging down and visible. I suppose I could live with it though. Really I just want to see anyone's experience with either setup and if you can see any pros/cons on either way.

thanks.

2. ss-

I just left my prop office to begin trading at home. Because I am limited in space (NYC apt.), I went with the wall mount option.
    I have 3 19" flat panel monitors and have set it up so that 2 are at eye-level side-by-side, with the third mounted above the 2 and centered. It looks pretty good and I was pleased with how it turned out. Yes the wires hang down, although i've bound them together so it doesn't look so sloppy. Incidentally, if you get the poles to stack the monitors, the wires hang down anyway. The only difference is that the stands take up more desk space. Also, the mounting hardware wasn't that cheap, $35/monitor if that makes a diff. you might be able to find it cheaper. All in all I'm happy with the set-up. Hope this helps.

3. I've got two Samsung 21 inchers rotated to the vertical mode sitting side by side on the desk with a 19 incher on the side. It is almost a strain for me to see the very top of the central displays. Your thought that you might mount your 24 inchers above your existing monitor caught my eye. You might consider cutting out two pieces of cardboard the size of the new monitors and tape the cardboard on the wall above you existing monitor. Then sit in your chair and see how easy it is to look up at the new "monitors" for any length of time. As for the ugly wires with a wall mount, you might look here:

http://www.bestbyteinc.com/index.html?page=1&deptid=5&parentid=96&itemsperpage=10

for some ideas.

4. Put 'em on the coffee table in front of the sofa.:)