Wal-mart

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by masonyes, Jun 5, 2010.

1. What's strange is that cheap supermarkets in ANY country are just the same. Like Lidl, or Co-op in the UK - it is a total freak show.

I've never actually been to a 3rd world discount supermarket but I shudder to think what it would look like :D

#11     Jun 10, 2010
  2. Yes, they're ugly, cheap stores. So are their shoppers.

I'd rather go to say a Target in California or Carrefour in Europe! Walmart is the new Kmart of the '70s/'80s. Anybody who buys meat, fruit, vegetables, or other perishables at Walmart is a fool. And their clientele? Oh, what a disaster!!! Make you sick.

#12     Jun 10, 2010
  3. What concerns me about Wall Mart is they dictate vendor prices.

It's one thing to buy second rate produce but what about something that seems tamper proof, like Campbells soup (just as an example).

Now suppose WMT has enough clout to compromise quality on products where we least expect it. Say a can of Campells tomato soup. Suppose the soup costs $.50 wholesale and WMT says we need to pay $.40 but we want the same size can.

Nothing could stop Campbells from watering down the soup, just once more to accomdate WMT. Or perhaps less vegetables in a can of beans.

We have lost the ability to comparison shop. Same can lower price inferior product same brand.

This isn't rocket science to sell inferior products but we are being hoodwinked. This practice could become pervasive because WMT is so big.

Not saying this is happening but I don't trust them not to do it.

#13     Jun 10, 2010
  4. Retief

Retief

You really are a nut!

#14     Jun 10, 2010
  5. ptrjon

ptrjon

Walmart buys back it's own stock pretty regularly- Walmart is a mature phase company who uses its ample free cash flow to repurchase shares- this only bodes well for owners. The only way that walmart could start getting hurt as a business is if its sales declined... and based on the influx and increase of "walmart people" in our population, I think the stock is undervalued. Also, it is a "blue chip company" that sells at a P/E less than 15.

Also, it is a company that is profitabally growing internationally. I own the stock and don't plan on selling.

#15     Jun 11, 2010
  6. don't smoke crack before posting. do you remember what happened when WalMart had someone trampled during a shopping rush, or their healthcare or a lot of other things? Retail giants are not stupid. Please stop posting conspiracy theories; it is not becoming.

#16     Jun 12, 2010
  7. Someone should start a luxury supermarket chain.

#17     Jun 12, 2010
  8. they did. It's called Whole Foods.

#18     Jun 12, 2010
  9. lol. People with more money than they know what to do with perhaps.

#19     Jun 12, 2010
  10. ptrjon

ptrjon

Wegman's.

#20     Jun 14, 2010