Wal-Mart To Add At Least 22,000 U.S. Jobs At Over 150 Stores In 2009

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jun 4, 2009.

1. That Wal-Mart adding jobs and/or stores is not optimistic for the US.

More people "trading down"... because the HAVE to.

#11     Jun 4, 2009
  2. Exactly. I thought S2007 would have been all over this article for the opposite reasons he is. It's good news for holders of Walmart stock, but bad news overall.

#12     Jun 4, 2009
  3. WMT's progress does not add a net benefit to the US as a whole....

WMT promotes foreign production....not US domestic production....

WMT represents a loss in true wealth by being causal for production to flourish elsewhere....outside the US....

WMT is a broker...buy it cheaper ....sell it for more....

When one can walk into WMT and find US goods on the shelves....then one could say that WMT is adding to the US....

The dollar getting weaker poses some possible change ....

Also.....WMT is a fair example of why stock ownership is so important....

Stock ownership is one of the few ways to benefit in a globalized world....

One would have gained in the stock....and won at the cash register....even though production was non US....

#13     Jun 4, 2009
  4. grow your own food or get it from local farmers. how stupid can one get.
    if you go that route you are stuck with seasonal foods. where are you going to get fresh fruits and vegatables the 10 months of the year when local stuff is out if season?
    lets see if i grow my own food i need a fish farm, a vegatable farm,a chicken farm, a grain farm. then i have to harvest it and process it and store it. or i can go to the store and for a few bucks save all that work. i grew up on a farm where we often ate what we grew. i dont want to go back to that.

#14     Jun 4, 2009
  5. in the food isle there is no difference between walmart selections than any other supermarket. they sell the same american brands that everybody else does.

#15     Jun 4, 2009
  6. ....................................................

Very true....a lot of it ....still some is foreign....

The real change needed of course is for the non food aisles....as you well know....

The point being that "common stock" is a key element of wealth distribution particularly with regards to globalization....

In many ways the US is like owning an orchard ....In the case of WMT....producing trees are being cut down in order to pay WMT....and the orchards are actually growing in size in other countries because of WMT....

One cannot continue chopping trees to pay WMT....

ie

http://www.epi.org/publications/entry/ib235/

http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en...ticleId=254423&func=6&channel=Money+&+Finance

#16     Jun 4, 2009
  7. WMT adds 20,000 min wage retail jobs in their stores and takes away 300,000 jobs because all the shit they sell comes from China and the jobs just keep shifting over there.

It's a NET loss for the country.

More WMT, cheaper dollar, less pay for you!

The "cheaper" prices at Walmart just don't reflect the HUGE damage they're doing the country.

Where's that 20% VAT mentioned a few days ago?

#17     Jun 4, 2009
  8. if you walk into any major retailer you see the same thing. walk into kohls and check the tags. wont find many made in america there either.

funny story. i went to a farmers market once. they had nice tomatoes. i was thinking how did they get tomatoes this early? i check the box. product of mexico.

#18     Jun 4, 2009
  9. ................................................

Exactly...it is not just WMT....it is most all
    of the retail discount boxes....all over the world....

China , etc...should think about eliminating WMT....

Why give WMT the vig ?

#19     Jun 4, 2009
  10. In actuality, there has been at least one major study on the Wal-mart effect, and they found overall, Walmart neither helped nor hurt the local employment situation

#20     Jun 4, 2009