Wal-Mart To Add At Least 22,000 U.S. Jobs At Over 150 Stores In 2009

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jun 4, 2009.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Do we really need another 150 WMT stores to be added to the already overcrowded retail space......

June 4th, 2009
    Wal-Mart To Add At Least 22,000 U.S. Jobs At Over 150 Stores In 2009
    Mayur Pahilajani - AHN News Writer

Bentonville, AR (AHN) - Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), the world's largest retailer, has committed to add at least 22,000 jobs in the United States in 2009 to staff new or expanded stores.

The news is going to boost investor confidence in the sector as the retailers have been hit hard by sliding consumer spending, which is related to increasing unemployment rate.

The Bentonville, Arkansas-based company's announcement came ahead of its annual meeting on Thursday.

"During this difficult economic time, we're proud to be able to create quality jobs for thousands of Americans this year," Vice Chairman Eduardo Castro-Wright said in a statement.

He added, "Job creation is just one way in which we're working hard every day to help people across this country live better."

These jobs will be added to the Wal-Mart's plan that was announced last October to open up to 157 new or expanded stores during the 2010 fiscal year in the U.S.

The retailer has planned to create more than 1,000 jobs in each of several states: Arizona (1,300), California (1,000), Florida (1,300), Michigan (1,500), New Jersey (1,200), South Carolina (1,000), Utah (1,200) and Virginia (1,100).

Michigan is suffering from sharply higher unemployment rate following the collapse of General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC.

"We are excited that during these economically challenging times Walmart is investing in Michigan by creating good paying jobs and offering benefits to their employees," Michigan Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Richard Studley said in the statement today.

Studley added, "The positive impact that these jobs will have on the families of the new employees and their communities cannot be overstated."

The retailer said it will fill positions including store management, pharmacists, human resource managers, customer service associates, cashiers and sales associates.

The company, which has a workforce of 1.45 million in the U.S., added 33,000 jobs in the country in 2008, which is based on its annual report released in April this year.

Wal-Mart employs more than 2.1 million people at more than 7,900 retail stores under 55 different banners in 15 countries.

Wal-Mart shares closed higher at $50.88 on New York Stock Exchange composite trading yesterday. The stock of the company has traded between $46.25 and $63.85 in the last 52-week period.

2. we do here. the walmart near me is always a zoo

3. S2007S

S2007S

You know there is a WMT about 15 mins from me and I have never even stepped foot into the place. Just because its always a "ZOO" in there doesn't mean they need to open more retail stores, im sure when you go to WMT its on a weekend or sometime between 3-7 on a weekday, other than that its a pretttttty QUIET place.

One other thing:

IFFFFFFFFFFFF they opened up every register there and hired just a few more employees it would NOT feel so hectic and time consuming when you go to one of the biggest retailers in the world. I have witnessed extremely long lines in many retail outlets not due to to many shoppers, but because they only have 3 or 4 registers opened when they should have 10.

4. wrong. i was there yesterday and it was a zoo. i shop there because i live in a rural area and it is the best place to shop for food. i try to avoid the place on government check day because you cant find a place to park then. walmart has been trying to get another store built here but it keeps getting voted down because its a scenic area and nobody wants it near them.
    i sometimes wish the kmart down the street sold food. there is hardly any traffic there.

5. So basically you live in the boonies inhabited by welfare trash & rednecks. And there is a demand for an additional Walmart. Somehow I am not surprised.

Leaving aside the fact that your region of residence obviously falls into the armpit of America category, I find it quite pathetic that people who live in rural areas would buy food from Walmart when they can get real food from local farms or even grow it themselves.

6. S2007S

S2007S

I have never been to a walmart to shop for food, I do that at my local supermarket however what type of food do they sell and at what price does it make it worthwhile to go to WMT and shop.

Here are the basic items and prices:

Half Gallon 2% milk $1.65

Loaf of Bread on sale usually Arnolds 12 grain bread or any other grain bread they sell $1.99-$2.50

OJ Usually Tropicana 2 for $6, used to be 2 for $5.

Bananas .69-.79 a pound

Ritz Crackers $2.50.

Now keep in mind I usually buy whats on sale, paying full retail dollar for some of these items isn't worth it when they go on sale every other week.

7. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), the world's largest retailer, has committed to add at least 22,000 jobs in the United States in 2009 to staff new or expanded stores.
    ---------------

In other news. 50 thousand workers were displaced and 10 thousand small businesses closed after Wal Mart came to town.

Which reminds me, I haven't heard anything about a Wal Mart bank charter. How come WMT hasn't scooped up a bank or two?

8. The simple equation is the less money people have, the more they will go to Walmart. As layoffs continue etc., people will have less money and will therefore be shopping at Walmart instead of some higher end store they used to frequent. It makes perfect sense to me why they are adding jobs if demand is expected to increase.

9. actually i am retired and live in a higher end mountian resort area. not many farmers in the mountians.
    many working people around here are connected to the tourist service industry. they dont make hi wages.

10. its not really the price. it convenience. i hate shopping and am always short of time when i travel to the city. i can go to a walmart and get everything i need at one stop. if i go to local stores i need to make 4 stops to do the same job. as far as food goes walmart sells the same name brands as any body else.

#10     Jun 4, 2009