Wal-Mart Rations Rice, this is out of control...

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mvic

Mvic

I just let our housekeeper know to prepare some Cali and Unagi rolls for lunch. We've had a large bag of Nishiki sitting in the pantry for a long time and I don't want to be accused of hoarding!

#51     Apr 25, 2008
  2. Mvic

Mvic

A years worth? You are either like me and eat very little of the stuff or you are a bit of a nut!

#52     Apr 25, 2008
  3. RhinoGG

RhinoGG Guest

Last time I remember eating rice (of any great portion) was when I was 11yrs old. Won't miss it at all. If I never eat rice again, it will be too soon.

#53     Apr 25, 2008
  4. What stock should buy? Is there a rice stock?

BG, ADM?

#54     Apr 25, 2008
  5. We thought you were going to help out the world by becoming the next John Bogle or Peter Lynch...

#55     Apr 25, 2008
  6. at 3500 calories energy equivalent per pound of fat, most Westerners already have a few weeks storage around their waist...

#56     Apr 25, 2008
  7. Blame or not, when the shit hits the fan, governments are going to go after the speculators as they DO influence price (and mostly in the up direction as of late). Expect higher margin requirements - much higher - at the very least.

#57     Apr 25, 2008
  8. TGregg

TGregg

We probably go through 4 cups of prepared rice a month. 48 a year. So that's a third of a cup dried rice times 48 for 16 cups of dried rice a year. Not sure how much dried rice weighs, but I'd guess that a one pound bag has about 3 cups. So that's 5 bags of rice that will last us a year. Even if a bag is only 2 cups, that's 8.

Assuming 2 cups per pound, 80 pounds of dried rice makes a whopping 480 cups of prepared rice.

#58     Apr 25, 2008
  9. I am going to store some rice this weekend, unlike electricity or gasoline, consumer do have the power to store rice, when a few stores run out of rice, it will create a public panic which will run out of control.

#59     Apr 25, 2008
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

Things like these usually signal market tops.

#60     Apr 25, 2008