Wal-Mart Rations Rice, this is out of control...

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Apr 23, 2008.

1. 15% unemployment. Martial Law. If I had put this up weeks ago, you would have laughed.

That's when I heard this stuff from very reliable sources. Are you laughing now?

When gas is four bucks, and you can't get food, guess what happens. I would suggest, as quoted in "HedgeHogging", 'America, it's a time for losing.".

I hope not. But I have no faith in Washington or Wall st. to ever do the correct thing.

#21     Apr 23, 2008
  2. wait till Summer then the rice will really hit the fan.

also, go to malls, no body there when gas is 3.88.

only thing pushing up market now is its attempt to find parity with rate of inflation.

#22     Apr 23, 2008
  3. KenL

KenL

Went to Costco Monday to buy some rice because I'm nearly out, but no dice, empty shelf. Called them this morning few minutes before open and the good man told me they got 45 bags today, I told him I'm there.

As I walk in shortly after open, people are coming out with carts loaded 4, 5, 6 bags. I immediately shifted into high gear and sprinted toward the target area. Upon arrival, there's only a few bags left. I barely finished loading a few onto my cart, I noticed the empty pallet is all that's left. Man, I really lucked out.

I can't hardly believe I had to go through all that just to get my hands on some basic food. What the hell is the world coming to?

#23     Apr 23, 2008
  4. Sponger

Sponger

Why didn't you just buy one of the other thousands of food items that ARE in plentiful supply in a Costco or Sams? Like a 30 pack of breakfast burritos, a 50 pack of barbecue spare ribs, or a 100 pack of corn dogs??? :p

Rice is a major sustinence food in other regions of the world, but it certainly isn't in the USA. Of course, that doesn't speak much for the health of Americans......

#24     Apr 23, 2008
  5. I think we told you. Hey, anybody remember 73? 75? 80? It wasn't until Aug 82 the market moved, and then the suckers came in May 83.

Wanted to sell a truck. Brand new Dodge piece of shit. 1980 or so. He says, we can't sell a new one. What do you think this is worth??? 20% interest rates. It can happen folks. That 's what you're seeing, but with low rates.

Lots of opportunities will present themselves. But they'll be al lot of pain.

#25     Apr 23, 2008
  6. Tums

Tums

This is worse than energy crisis.

#26     Apr 23, 2008
  7. KenL

KenL

Because I can't afford that other stuff. I haven't had any work all week. I'm in a recession and I'm not joking.

Would it surprise you that rice is pretty major in certain parts of the good ole USofA? Like here in the heart of Silicon Valley for example, where Asians together with people of all colors probably outnumber Caucasians.

#27     Apr 23, 2008
  8. The irony of the rice issue is that the USA is actually a major world rice grower in fact the 4th largest and an exporter.

Lets see if I was a US farmer and rice can be exported overseas to earn more $$$ than sold in Walmart and Costco what should I do?

http://www.arkansasricegrowers.com/

http://www.usriceproducers.com/

http://sev.prnewswire.com/agriculture/20080420/NYSU00120042008-1.html

...Total U.S. rice exports for 2007/08 are forecast to increase approximately 20 percent from the previous year -- in part due to export restrictions imposed by Vietnam and India. In the United States, rough rice exports largely destined for Mexico and Central America, are forecast to improve 14 percent from the previous year. Additionally, U.S. milled rice exports are forecast to jump 25 percent; although still 10 percent below the 2005-06 crop year.

"U.S. export prices continue to experience upward pressure from several factors, including healthy sales, generally high commodity prices and the relatively weaker U.S. dollar," said Whitehead.

#28     Apr 23, 2008
  9. The old saying "You reap what you sow" certainly applies to the economic management of the US economy. Trade deficits, federal deficits, state deficits, corporate deficit, and personal deficits.......

Half of the airlines, auto and financial corporations should have gone bust long ago....Maybe the fed or the US Government will be first.

I put greater than 50% odds that that the US will default within 25 years.

#29     Apr 23, 2008
  10. Rice omfgwtf? I'm waiting for the twinkie riots. Yo yo yo America, no twinkies. Cellulite flowing in the streets, it'll be the wake up call.

#30     Apr 23, 2008