waking up in the morning

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by halfwaythere, Jul 23, 2013.

1. If I could trade at night, or mid day, there is NO question my trading would improve.

What are some ways to improve cognitive function and alertness for people who aren't "morning people"?

I wake up an hour before the markets open, so that should be enough time to wake up, yet I feel so groggy and non responsive.

maybe go for a brisk walk after coffee?

2. Bob111

Bob111

:confused: just automate as much as you can. then you can trade at any time. i can trade just fine after 2L of wine and 4 hours of sleep. cause it's a monkey job for me. just press certain buttons in certain sequence and PC will do the rest.what's the big deal?

3. Pipflow

Pipflow

Remember the old saying " An early bird is better than night owl" so its always better to get up early in the morning for trading than sitting the whole night.

4. ddecker

ddecker

Option 1: Move west or trade in a market further east

Option 2: Try to adjust your circadian system to become more of a "morning person"

Below is a blog post on option 2 that might be helpful. For me, using f.lux on my laptop and desktop has made a significant difference.

http://humbledmba.com/become-a-morning-person-how-to-end-insomnia-f

5. ddecker

ddecker

That should have been move east, or trade in a market further west!

6. dev

dev

t are some ways to improve cognitive function and alertness for people who aren't "morning people"?

I wake up an hour before the markets open, so that should be enough time to wake up, yet I feel so groggy and non responsive.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I've always struggled with mornings, i'm definitely a night owl.

- keep caffeine to mornings only ( kick it, if you can)
    - hard exercise in the evenings, promotes tiredness and will bring your fitness levels up (which makes you sharper), takes a few weeks to notice the difference
    - eat clean foods
    - go to bed earlier

Or

- automate

Or

- find a strategy that works later in your day.

7. Your admitted problem is different than you may think.

To begin your trading day later move Eastward.

Now, back to the neurological problem you surfaced.

When you sleep your brain does its work to digest what you unconsciously perceived during your awake hours. In your case the job is not completed in the time available.

As a consequence, you are challenged by the bad news you brain gives you when you wake up.

You definitely have a problem that is not going to go away.

8. I used to not hit the gym until a little after 9pm and I would be there until about 11 when they closed. I then would head back to my apartment and stay up for several more hours before going to bed to wake back up at 7. Hitting the gym at night never did the trick for me, it seems to wake me up mentally which in turn keeps me up much later instead of wanting to go to bed.

9. dev

dev

Fair enough.
    I don't have *the* answer, they're just suggestions.
    But it is, most likely, something in your diet, routine or environment.

I have a similar problem, being groggy for too long after waking.
    I found that after a week without any caffeine at all, I was waking up much sharper.
    Using it regular, makes my head 'need' it in the mornings.

Experiment, you'll probably figure out what's causing it.

10. jimbogf

jimbogf

I had this same problem, and found a rather simple solution for me - breakfast. A nice satisfying protein filled and fatty breakfast with eggs and bacon or sausage before the market open made a remarkable improvement in my morning trading and alertness. Pop tarts or any other breakfast that is sugary and carb-filled is a no-no.

If you don't want to cook a breakfast every morning I suggest making a batch of breakfast burritos with eggs and meat and cheese and freeze them. In the morning you can just stick a couple in the microwave for a minute or two.

#10     Aug 5, 2013