Waiting to Blow up...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Bad_Badness, Nov 21, 2020.

1. JSOP

JSOP

Then it's an issue of the signals generated by the system. If it's not good enough to identify the false signals from the good ones, then the system is just not good enough unless you can design it in a way that its profit potential when the signal does turn out to be right is significantly higher than the losses that could be incurred from the bad signals. Limiting the number of trades is not a good option because if you limit the number of trades then you are also eliminating the potentially profitable trades. Seeing your system is anchored on higher number of trades then you have only two options:

1) Maximize the win/lose ratio or

2) Maximize the potential profit/loss ratio for EACH trade

Maximize both of course would be the best. If you can't maximize either one of them, then ES is just not a good instrument to trade. IMO.

#21     Nov 22, 2020
  2. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Agree, I know I can improve both within the system. Without hard data, I estimate W/L ratio can go up proportionally, about 15% over all market conditions that are specified. And I can see profits/loss going up to more like 1.75 to 2 points. Of course 1 helps 2. The reason I have not is I was following the system as spec'ed to get a good baseline. Now I will start the optimization phase with incremental changes. Fortunately, ES behavior as targeted, is not going anywhere. Thanks.

#22     Nov 22, 2020
  3. JSOP

JSOP

To me, an increase in win/lose ratio does not necessarily improve the profit/loss ratio. I find they are quite independent. You can have a system that allows you to win quite a high number of times but your profit each time is not large vs the loss that can happen. So comparing to a system that does not have as high of a win/lose ratio but when you win, your profit vs loss is much higher, you can still end up with higher overall profit but you need to have higher trading capital and with sound capital management rules to ensure that you would have enough capital on hand to allow you to trade that one finally tremenously profitable trade that makes all your losses back and then some.

#23     Nov 22, 2020
    Bad_Badness likes this.
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

There ya go like a true Trumper you are.

Only now it is Make America Hallucinate Again. No thanks four years is enough.

#24     Nov 22, 2020
    GettingThere likes this.
  5. volpri

volpri

Lol

#25     Nov 23, 2020
  6. waiting to blow up sounds like a very dramatic documentary about a human suicide bomber. maybe thats the parallel. traders waiting to blow up are actually similar to a suicide bomber.

#26     Nov 24, 2020
  7. guowei58

guowei58

Only way you blow up is if you size it too big. 12 contracts is what portion of your overall portfolio?

#27     Nov 30, 2020
  8. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

This is an isolated system. One of many. 12 contracts is with range of the systems designed parameters. "blowup" was loosely used wrt to W/L frequencies relative to W/L size. Sorry for the confusion.

#28     Nov 30, 2020
  9. guowei58

guowei58

mean reversion systems all blow up at some point if you don't have stops

#29     Nov 30, 2020
    d08 likes this.