Waiting period on new registrants

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Tech Analysis, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Also, we could come up with a little stat under each person's name showing how many people are ignoring him or her. This could be a form of self-policing among members. There could also be some kind of "star rating" system, where members can vote on the contents of other member's posts based on their stars. People who contribute will end up with a higher ranking and people with 0 stars can be automatically ignored. Everyone starts with 1 star.

Just an idea ...

#21     Nov 1, 2002
  2. Not a bad idea, but you would need to apply some sort of weighting to the star system, in order to prevent people from signing on just give you a low rating. Obviously, ranking by senior members should carry more weight. Or, somone shouldn't be allowed to rank until they reach 100 posts.

#22     Nov 1, 2002
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Why complicate it? The moderators and administrators know which posts are productive and which are intended to accomplish nothing but food fights. It's simply a matter of taking action.

--Db

#23     Nov 1, 2002
  4. I was sort of joking about that one. Sort of.

Anyway I think if someone has more than 10 posts deleted by moderators within 30-60 days of their registration then they probably should have their account automatically suspended. I'm not joking about that one. I also don't think it would be that hard to implement.

I think rating other members is a good idea too but would probably be a bit more involved to implement.

In the end all our "great" ideas boil down to which is doable for Baron.

#24     Nov 1, 2002
  5. I agree with you, but we live in a democracy, and we have to come up with a system that the majority will approve of. Hopefully this forum willcome up with something that everyone would be happy with, and the site administrators and moderators would be willing to implement.

#25     Nov 1, 2002
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The system does that already, but since most people using cable modems, DSL lines, and standard modems have dynamic IP addresses, comparing IP addresses is totally worthless. In terms of email addresses, we've been requiring unique email addresses for a long time.

#26     Nov 1, 2002
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

We live in a democracy, but there is nothing necessarily democratic about a message board. I regularly delete spoilers and salesmen and so forth from my clubs and nobody has a problem with it. The democratic process is served by making it possible for anyone deleted to start their own club, just as those who are Democrats are encouraged to join the Democratic party rather than the Republican (unless they want to do so by becoming Republicans).

--Db

#27     Nov 1, 2002
  8. Unique email accounts are not a deterrent because it only takes about 2 minutes to create a free yahoo or hotmail account.

#28     Nov 1, 2002
  9. Would it be possible then to not allow people with free email accounts to register. This is done with some paying sites in order to stop people from continuosly taking advantage of the free one week trial. I would assume that most traders pay for decent internet access and that the majority of constructive posters use a paying service. For the people who are currently constructive members and use a free ISP then perhaps there can be some kind of amnesty at the beginning.
    Just a thought.

#29     Nov 1, 2002
  10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Email addresses from yahoo and hotmail are no longer allowed for new members. Users who currently have a yahoo or hotmail account on file will be allowed to keep them for now but that will probably change at some point in the future, as I would like for the system to eventually be purged of those addresses.

#30     Nov 1, 2002