Waiting For "Meaningful Work" Another Great Article from Thomas Sowell

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., May 29, 2012.

1. Got me to thinking about my McD days. Back in the mid 60's there were no adults working at Mcd's. No women either, least not in the one I worked at. The manager was in his early 20's so it was pretty much a free for all.
    Our manager Charlie, a American Indian guy, had a good part of his right jaw missing. Never knew how that happened. Anyway, me and a friend were screwing around in a field by the house one day, came across some kind of dead rodent skeleton. Cruel bastards that we were, we figured Charlie could use the jaw bone, so we took it in to work and left it on his desk. Charlie blew his stack for awhile, but we all ended up laughing our asses off. Got drunk and high while eating those Hot Apple Pie things they had. Burned the shit out of my tongue I was so friggin loaded.:D

#41     May 31, 2012
  2. Yannis

Yannis

Yes, this is an excellent article.

I spent most vacations working at my uncle's great big store, at first just helping out and eventually selling shoes, shirts and various accessories, from the age of 12 until my sophomore year of college. Then I started spending my summers as an intern, working for my professors, finally doing "meaningful work" as the article says. My parents were happy, my uncle not so much.

Later, after getting my MBA, I interviewed with IBM. Both interviewers, a man and a woman, seemed kind of bored looking at my resume. The man asked me if that was all, had I listed all of my "meaningful" experience on that well crafted sheet of paper?

I said that I had also sold shoes and shirts etc when I was younger... They perked up. Where? For whom? Was I on commission? Did I like it? What did my bosses say about my work?

I was flabbergasted... answered all of their questions and waited for a break in their questioning to point out the papers I had authored in Physics and in Finance. That's nice, they agreed, and then asked me for names and phone numbers of my superiors from my earlier days.

They called them, and then the IBM lady called me and offered me a job in NYC, excellent salary and benefits.

Didn't take it... went to AT&T Bell Labs in NJ instead. That was not bad, but I underestand what Sowell means.

#42     May 31, 2012
  3. Didn't want to start a new thread, but this job must rank as one of the all time worst.
    The distinctive "old person smell" you may have picked up on when visiting your grandparents most likely wasn't your imagination, a new study indicates.

When given whiffs from pieces of pads worn under the armpits of young, middle-aged and elderly people for five consecutive nights, study participants could reliably distinguish the body odor of the elderly, who were 75 and older, the researchers found.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: OH My Dear GOD!!!

#43     May 31, 2012
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Lol

#44     May 31, 2012