Waiting For "Meaningful Work" Another Great Article from Thomas Sowell

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., May 29, 2012.

1. jem

jem

absolutely. work on your game. the better you are the more competent you look. I know a lot of people know this... but I can starkly contrast my tennis to my golf. Around the tennis court my opinions seem to carry greater weight.

#21     May 29, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Bigger balls.

#22     May 29, 2012
  3. just exposed yourself there, Canuck. Although the terms college and University are interchangeable, we mostly use the term COLLEGE when referring to a first degree, while University or Uni as the brits like to call it is used exclusively in Commonwealth countries like Canada.

Next time if you want to pass yourself off as American, you should sharpen up on the nuances.

#23     May 29, 2012
  4. Ricter

Ricter

Believe what you like, I could give a rat's ass. : )

#24     May 29, 2012
  5. Max E.

Max E.

Used to be a 4 handicap, now i shoot high 70's to high 80's so Its all over the map hard to judge my handicap now when im always playing a new course, and some rounds i end up taking 45 putts.....

My goal is to get it down to scratch, now that I have the time to be on the course every day, and live in a climate that is conducive to golfing year round, in Toronto I only had 5 months every year as a that i could golf as a junior but i lived on the course in the summer.....

How bout you?

#25     May 29, 2012
  6. jem

jem

I play 9 with my kids... 3-5 times a week. So I do not carry a handicap... but, I would say mid to high 80 eighties on a tight course. I was playing better 3 months ago.

I could throw a few birdies or a string of pars together and look a little better on a good day but, I am shedding talent. A few years ago when I started playing again... my goal was scratch... but I have lost about 20 yards on my drives... and hitting greens on par 5s is rare now. I hope to get back to high 70s but I am getting a bit frustrated with my lack of improvement. My kids are getting better by the week on the same schedule and I am not improving. its a tough game but I love it.

#26     May 29, 2012
  7. Ricter

Ricter

Their sales are typically higher in the summer. But a big chunk of their hiring this year was in response to the improving economy.

#27     May 29, 2012
  8. Max E.

Max E.

Great to hear you are getting your kids involved at an early age.... I read a stat that says something like 90% of golfers cant legitimatelly break a hundred....... I would assume its mostly cause they start too, late and dont have a decent swing, like most golfers who start in their 20's dont want to hold their front arm straight, they think they get more power by bending their front elbow. You try to teach that to someone not to bend their front arm when they are already 30, and there is no way they can change that movement, it seems so unnatural at first. You said your in to tennis? I think its the same rule isnt it? keep the arm straight.....

Golf is so much better of a sport when you learn while you are young, cause later in life, you can still at least shoot a score thats not embarassing. I would have given up on it if i couldnt atleast hit the ball consistently, which is something you never lose from the junior years... If im out with buddies just enjoying a round i dont necessarily care about my score, but i would lose patience if i was just duffing it like i see some guys do the whole round.....

Yeah its a messed up sport like that, you string together 2-3 birdies and you think your back to your old self, and on the way to being the next tiger woods, then the next hole, you snap hook one into the bush, and reality sets in.....

These days My Goal is Bogey golf, so if i shoot like an 82, thats 8 under, and im happy with that score..... Especially given the fact that i generally put back 7-8 beer over the course of 18 holes if im with friends.... :D

#28     May 30, 2012
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

These days a plumber can make a very good living. It can be some dirty work but its certainly an honorable trade.

I worked in the garment district as a teenager. I sorted by size, counted, inspected and bagged about 750 mens suits per day and then shipped them out. I got the same lesson from it that you did, don't judge people who work with their hands for a living and don't expect the world to hand you a living. I feel lucky that I had that experience and I've never feared hard work ever since.

Everyday watching the news I'm alarmed by what is happening to America. We're losing our work ethic and creating a generation of people who think they are entitled to money earned by others. The democrats were willing to create a welfare society so that they could stay in power under the assumption that welfare recipients vote primarily democratic.

#29     May 30, 2012
  10. Max E.

Max E.

+1, I remember every "Hard" job i did, and i wear it as a badge of honor, it was all a learning process, and it definitely taught me to work harder in school as i didnt want to end up working at a temp agency for a living like some of the old men I saw.

You know something thats kind of funny? When i was in University I ran my own business hauling shit to the dump for people, I had an old truck I had bought with the box built up 5 feet high on each side so i could fill it up, and I just ran an ad in the paper saying i would pick up a big load of garbage if people needed a truck to haul it to the dump.

There was literally no one doing it at the time, so it was free reign to show up to construction sites, or new houses which were being built and haul off their garbage/materials. You ccould get paid 200 bucks to fill the truck on 3 sites, then pay 30 in dumping fees, and it took like an hour and a half..... I could make a g note on a sduper busy day which was huge money back then......

Then, No shit, right after i Quit doing that and sold my truck and got into trading, I started seeing those "1-800-gotjunk" trucks all over the road, and I saw a documentary on those guys, and they started out exactly how I did with an add in the paper, to pick up random loads of garbage, and they turned it into a 100 million dollar business...... Made me feel like quite the bonehead.... :D

[​IMG]

#30     May 30, 2012