Wait, so is S&P going to downgrade the United States of America @ 8:15pm EST ??!!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bond_trad3r, Aug 5, 2011.

1. But lets be realistic, after the first stimulus was announced, how many people with any business sense actually believed treasuries were worth a damn? So this downgrade really is only going to scare Joe Public into panic selling stocks.... and prolly buying the treasuries that were just downgraded lol

#21     Aug 5, 2011
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

Yes. But still I think precious metals is the way forward long term.

#22     Aug 5, 2011
  3. clacy

clacy

At this point, the gold up trend is still well in tact. Look at a 20 year chart of the S&P priced in gold. Stocks have been horrible since 2000. Until that changes, why not be in gold?

#23     Aug 5, 2011
  4. #24     Aug 5, 2011
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

#25     Aug 5, 2011
  6. This is a bit out of my personal trading realm. Is there a concrete tangible ramification to this downgrade?

It's clearly embarrassing as hell, but does it have practical impact on anyone?

#26     Aug 5, 2011
  7. I agree,

History repeats, and if history is right again , this fiat currency shouldn't last much more than 40 years. ( came of gold standard in 71) .

Although I hate the dollar I am heavy in cash right now because I believe people fly to cash during panics. Thing is gold sometimes dumps during panics too . I'm patiently waiting to see how this plays out. Already have taken a lot of gains from PM's off the table from early 09. I'm sidelined basically in regards to my long term funds ready to take advantage of short term volatility.

#27     Aug 5, 2011
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

It means you are going to have to pay a higher interest rate on the two and half trillion Obama is going to use to win the next election.

Correct me if I am wrong.

#28     Aug 5, 2011

9. Yes, I'm about 25ish pages in. Im trying not to get swayed by your words ^^. I've looked so much at the US and know so little Europe (aside from UK total debt to GDP at 500 % which should make it shittier than US?). I agree with whats written so far, but so far it doesn't sound too different from mainstream criticism against the EZ.

#29     Aug 5, 2011

10. Well japan debt is AA ....People seem ok with Japan... so who knows. The market will speak soon enough.

#30     Aug 5, 2011