Wage garnishments rise

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Apr 3, 2010.

1. http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...ise-as-debtors-fall-behind?mod=bb-creditcards

When the bank sued Leann Weaver for not paying her credit card balance, her reaction was typical for someone in that situation. Personal and financial setbacks weighed her down, and she knew she owed the $2,470. So she never went to court to defend herself.

She was startled by what happened next. When she swiped her debit card at the grocery store, it was declined. It turned out Capital One Bank had taken $224.25 from her paycheck, a quarter of her wages for two weeks of work at a retail chain, and her bank account was overdrawn.

"They're kicking somebody who's already in the dirt," she said.

These people always play the victim. They run up their credit cards and then they act like the credit card companies are the bad guys when they dont pay.

When will people understand that you should never buy anything on a credit card unless you plan to pay it off at the end of the month, or unless you purchase a saleable non-depreciating asset. This woman probably was spending money on dinners at applebees and buying clothes. Why cant people understand that if you dont have the money, dont buy it. Go without. Dont expect us to feel sorry for you. You received a service. Pay for it.

I see some of these people like this that are always asking me for help on what they should do to get more credit. When I ask why they want credit, they say because they want to either pay off debt(which makes no sense because they are not actually paying anything off) or buy some big ticket item.

2. So what do you want the guvmnt to do, charge the same interest and penalties when they require govt help? Now that corps are people when they go bankrupt what do we do, charge the ceo with attempted suicide? Murder when the corp fails?

3. Try not to discuss economics when you have had 12+ beers. I have no idea what you are asking or saying about murder & suicide.

4. MattF

MattF

How about the big mistake: not showing up in court. At least there you have a more reasonable shot, and even if judgment is filed, you can prove there to the representative what your finances look like.

Then all they do is keep the judgment running, and the interest that mounts doesn't amount to much in the end.

Idiots.

5. I see some of these people like this that are always asking me for help on what they should do to get more credit. When I ask why they want credit, they say because they want to either pay off debt(which makes no sense because they are not actually paying anything off) or buy some big ticket item.

One word.

Lehman.

6. maxpi

maxpi

More proof that WIN = Work Is Nonprofit... if you don't work they can't garnish your pay... make the Chase Bank ATM at the 7-11 your new bank and change your address to a commercial po box, end of dilemma...

7. masonyes

masonyes

I'm not sure what you mean, they tend to garnish your paycheck.
    I really have no idea why any of those individuals didn't file bankruptcy; once you do any court cases against you are automatically stayed(suspended). 1 to 2000 dollars is a low price to pay when you could save thousands of dollars; I can understand why they wouldn't be able to pay but I don't understand why don't they don't take any legal means necessary to borrow that money. Take a second job; wash windows, take a loan from your parents/siblings/ aunts/friends, apply for a money/loan from a non-profit(yes they do that) or for god's sake stall the proceeding and learn how to file bankruptcy yourself. Most WG are directed at non-secured debt and chapter 7 for that is not that difficult to self-file and you receive helps from the courts. Each court has a special appointed member to help those who self file.

8. Until the highest leaders in the land show they are responsible how can we expect Joe Six Pack to. Leadership and responsibility starts at the top.

What we have in this country is a double standard. It’s ok for the Government and large corporations to extend themselves and require tax payers to bail them out.

But heaven forbid the average citizen to make these mistakes. The average citizen will be made to suffer and live in squallier to pay back that bank debt that was created out of thin air.

9. She’s behaving just like Government and Corporate America, living beyond her means how dare the average citizen do that.

10. America has become an oligarchy of Congressional and big-money, corporate elitists. They see things as "we the people" are here to serve them.

#10     Apr 5, 2010