VXX a good buy at current levels?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by mramaswamy1, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Here's the best advice I can give you.

Go and make 1,000 Vol trades...
    Nothing concentrates the mind like meaningful money on the line...
    Especially, very especially, your losing positions.

#51     Jul 15, 2012
  2. Since I am in the minority who actually read the prospectus, I don't feel vindicated, I feel.....educated. YEAAAAAAAAAAH!! (CSI MIAMI theme music insert; puts on sunglasses)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mR3jnW2kcUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#52     Jul 15, 2012
  3. you got that right buddy! you'lll let yourself know when you have to much money in one trade and things aren't going right.. kinda like i'm doing right! haha

#53     Jul 16, 2012
  4. wanted you guys to check this graphical comparison of the vix verse the vixy

the top is scaled the bottom isn't..

#54     Jul 16, 2012
  5. those charts are a comparison of the vixy to the actual Vix index.. not to the vxx

#55     Jul 16, 2012
  6. NoBias

NoBias

VIX-VXX-VIXY using a % price change comparison

VIXY [ETF] is designed to correlate to the VXX [ETN]
    "which it appears to do "by the chart"

Doesn't mean either are well correlated to the VIX volatility index

Starting point on comparison chart was taken from 1st date data was available on the VIXY [TS]

#56     Jul 16, 2012
  7. The vixy is designed to follow the vix based upon trading in the vix futures.. constantly rolling the shorter term contract out to the longer term contract to give constant exposure at the loss of the preimum between the short term and the long term futures contract (contango) vxx and vixy are basically the same product from two different companies.. .89 expense ratio on the vxx and .85 on the vixy..

#57     Jul 16, 2012
  8. Nym

Nym

maybe i am a bit naif but.... we are talking about automatic indexes so.. can someone post the algorithms? does anyone know where we can find them? This information will probably clarify any discussion!

Obviously, it will clarify this discussion but not predict the market :)

#58     Jul 17, 2012
  9. since most of you guys are traders..why not trade your own vol bias's using the actual futures instead of paying expenses of a fund?

#59     Jul 17, 2012
  10. i'm gonna actually start working on that!

#60     Jul 17, 2012