VPN to reduce latency for trading in Asia

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by napolean, Mar 23, 2021.

1. maxinger

maxinger

I trade multiple exchanges from various countries, have multiple trading platforms and charting software.

Early US session tends to be the 'worst' due to heavy traffic.

Different trading platforms, different charting software will give you different results.
    some trading platforms (eg TT trading platform but you have to pay a high price for that) have virtually zero lag.
    some lag by few seconds to few minutes.
    Some charting software is damn damn hopeless; the chart will freeze for the first few minutes during the early US session without fail.
    And some charting software will never freeze and has virtually zero lag !

Your problem seems to be not due to the massive distance.
    Go and evaluate different charting software, different brokers, different trading platforms.

#11     Mar 23, 2021
  2. virtusa

virtusa

There are many reasons for using VPN in secure core mode. All my computers use VPN in secure core mode from the moment I switch them on.
    If you use internet you should always use VPN. There is a reason why Russia forbids using VPN, and China does not want you to use it too.

https://surfshark.com/blog/should-i-always-use-a-vpn
    https://latesthackingnews.com/2020/03/23/should-we-always-use-a-vpn/
    https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-and-use-a-vpn

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    #12     Mar 23, 2021
  3. rb7

rb7

Yes, there are many reasons to use a VPN, but reducing latency is not one of them.

#13     Mar 23, 2021
  4. virtusa

virtusa

I agree and to me it is obvious.
    I did not pay attention very well and focused on this sentence:"A vpn helps to anonymize traffic or if you are behind a firewalls such as in China."

#14     Mar 23, 2021
    rb7 likes this.
  5. 300ms is very high. I'd recommend checking out www.ninjamobiletrader.com for a fast 1gbps and 1ms latency vps. I use their chicago vps because I mostly trade CME instruments with philips capital, but they also have NY vps which I imagine would be in the low digits ms for NYSE. Depends on where you broker's trading servers are too. For example if you're broker is based in a different city than the exchange servers, there will be more data hops and additional latency.

#15     Mar 23, 2021
    toon likes this.
  6. To each his own. I hope you feel stealthy enough.

But a VPN does not solve the problem of op.

#16     Mar 23, 2021
  7. d08

d08

Highly doubtful. You cannot get 15ms from Asia to Europe or America unless you some extremely expensive tech. Even just 150ms from Asia to Europe would be beyond expectations.

#17     Mar 23, 2021
    Collagen and DiceAreCast like this.
  8. ZBZB

ZBZB

www.starlink.com will be the fastest way to communicate soon and all trading will move to it.

#18     Mar 23, 2021
  9. d08

d08

That's in the future, not now.
    Doubt all trading will move either, I have no need for it. If my VPS is in NYC and IB server is in NYC, why do I need Starlink?

#19     Mar 23, 2021
  10. Not true. Fastest only in very specific circumstances. Don't fall for snake oil Musk. And as @d08 pointed out, it's not here now. It will be years before Asia is covered

#20     Mar 23, 2021