vpn connection and lan

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by lescor, Apr 25, 2003.

1. lescor

lescor

I trade with a citrix connection now and am thinking of switching to a vpn connection and have a question for more experienced techies. Can I have the vpn and still have all four of my computers networked and easily accessible? I tried the vpn once before and it totally wrecked my lan.

2. lescor

lescor

anyone?.....anyone?

3. The answer is yes but like everything you have to configure it properly. There are lots of howTOs on the web for that particular matter.
    Good luck.

4. Dustin

Dustin

The VPN is pretty good. My only complaint is that it doesn't load all the symbols like Citrix. There is a setting to make it happen but it takes like 10 mins for all the symbols to load, so you are better off just putting your favorites on the list.

As for networking I do have problems seeing my other computer when the VPN is connected, but my DSL sharing works fine. I know of one other guy that has networking problems also.

5. Swipe

Swipe

I have the vpn and it works fine. I was thinking about going to the citrix because my bandwidth seems to get eaten up if I load a lot of symbols.

Why do you want to get off the ctrix? Is there anything you can warn me of?

6. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

I have used both (although I have not tried any file sharing on the LAN). One of my complaints with Citrix is that it won't save multi-monitor layouts. So if you have any windows on a second, third or whatever monitor, it all gets crammed back onto one screen when you reopen the software and you have to reposition them.

I am on the vpn now and happy with it.