Vote for the best mechanical trading software:

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by chifai2, Oct 11, 2003.

1. My very few brain cells order my lazy neurons to activate the decaying muscles in my right hand index finger.

TM Trader

#11     Oct 11, 2003
  2. ...for E-Signal's strategy development and backtesting capability. Cheap, cheap, fo' a po' boy. It's the real "easy language" (the other one is a real HardLanguage). Glad to engage in any dialogue on system development.

#12     Oct 12, 2003
  3. madf

madf

As a trader I absolutely refuse point balnk to use any software that requires me to learn any programming language more advanced than "and" "if", "<>=" ,"then","true", "false".

Imo any sytem requiring C or other hi level language (is C hi level? probably not) is just lazily written. We trade and only program to trade better, having to learn C is like having to know fundamentals to trade futures..:)

If the software you use does not allow an average user to program something like
    " if the closing price hits the lower (20ema, 2std deviations) Bollinger Band and the next bar closes higher and MACD is turning up and CCI is turning up"
    as simply as:
    CL.1<=BOLD and CL>CL.1 and MACD>MACD.1 and CCI>CCI.1
    then its written by programmers FOR programmers NOT traders..

#13     Oct 12, 2003
  4. Hi madf,

Thanks for the reply. You know, you sound like the the type of chap that might live in Cheshire.

Good trading all the best

#14     Oct 12, 2003

5. I agree with madf. This is what 90% traders need for first few years until they get to more advanced levels. Not everyone is programmer, and has to be a programmer in order to make money. TS7, Investor RT, stock watch pro,...are examples
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#15     Oct 12, 2003
  6. madf

madf

Peugoet
    "Thanks for the reply. You know, you sound like the the type of chap that might live in Cheshire"

Well northern Staffordshire next to the Cheshire border (1.5 miles) actually:)

#16     Oct 12, 2003
  7. Sorry that I'm greedy and make more money than you. OK OK... I'm kiddin :)

Learning how to program in Cs is one of the best thing I did.

#17     Oct 12, 2003
  8. madf

madf

I don't need to program in C .. that's the beauty of it. Why should I learn an extra load of surplus knowledge when I can program much easier a simpler and quicker using near English (or American if you insist). ?

Many years ago I was a computer programmer and I was struck then - as now - by how computer languages are written by programmers for programmers .

Just becuase C enables you to specify what you want does not mean that it is best: I gave an example above which I coded in about 5 seconds as I wrote it.

Please code it in C: print it and tell us how long it took. I bet
    1. it takes more than the simple line I wrote
    2. It took more than 5 seconds
    3. It is incomprehensible to us mortals who don't know C and don't want to either:)

Computers are designed to help us do things: computer languages should be easy to use. If you can't learn how to use one in 30 minutes they are too complex. imo of course.

#18     Oct 12, 2003
  9. madf, that's the idea...programming languages have to be complex so we can get the salaries we do :D

-Fast

#19     Oct 12, 2003
  10. prophet

prophet

Why is there this attitude on ET “If it’s too complicated or sophisticated it must be a waste of time or overkill”?

Hey, if you want to restrict yourself to simple mechanical strategies, and don’t like learning new analytical skills… I have no problem with that. There are many simple strategies that work well. Perhaps you are so profitable at discretionary trading you don’t need mechanical sophistication.

I just object to your blanket generalization that sophisticated tools and analysis are “lazily written” or not useful for traders. Having known several successful traders using sophisticated analysis, ones who have accumulated substantial wealth, and through trading my own systems I can say with great confidence that you are wrong.

#20     Oct 12, 2003