Vonage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dvshucks, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Skype is good but it uses a lot of computer resources, so I have it installed on a separate computer.

Bad thing abou skype is that the person on the other end also needs a good, clean, connection, otherwise the conversation will be choppy even if your end is perfect.

VOIP is the way to go... we're already seeing VOIP+cellphone (in one phone) coming out. It'll use VOIP when ur at home and revert to cell if it cant find a signal.

#11     Feb 18, 2006
  2. My experience with skype has been 100% positive so far.

And its' free.

#12     Feb 19, 2006
  3. for those that have it, what do you use to transmit the phone connection throughout the house. Did you buy their wireless router and phones? Just curious because you're saying to get good phones.

#13     Feb 19, 2006
  4. VOIP phones suck. poor sound quality and poor reliability... oh and try getting tech support worth a darn with Vonage. You save a few bucks and put your ass on the line if you are expecting reliable service. No one here can say that Vonage sound quality is comparable to a standard phone. How many times does your isp go down v. your standard phone service?

#14     Feb 20, 2006
  5. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT GET THIS PRODUCT

I use my phone for work and it is horrible- line cracks, can't get voicemail sometimes and almost always an echo.

Could be my comcast cable connection but what difference does it make? If it doesn't work the reason why really doesn't matter.

I've decided to dump mine today.

#15     Feb 21, 2006
  6. Arnie

Arnie

What about 911 calls? How do they find you if your on the net? These VoIP co's could face some serious problems.

#16     Feb 21, 2006
  7. nitro

nitro

It makes a HUGE difference. This friday I will be able to prove it too when the SpeakEasy DSL installation is done.

I also have Comcast now and it is a complete disaster.

nitro

#17     Feb 21, 2006
  8. Nitro post your results with the DSL line. I'd be interested to hear your results.

I wouldn't doubt those bastards at Comcast purposely cause static and latency to punish the VOIP companies.

#18     Feb 21, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

OK.

Run, don't walk, and get yourself a SpeakEasy DSL connection. I am using the 1500/768 speeds. The service is fantastic and the support is outstanding. It is a bridged connection not routed. That means that the latency is considerably less than a routed connection and is probably that much superior for trading!

The Vonnage over SpeakEasy is a dream. No more connection problems, no echos, sounds like a normal phone.

Obviously this is only one days worth of usage, but I am really impressed.

nitro

#19     Feb 27, 2006
  10. Hart9000

Hart9000

I've got a 30 day trial from Sunrocket. Works great so far. Hooked it into my phone system and all 12 extensions have access with my regular phones. Rates are cheaper than Vonnage. People having quality issues with voip should try the broadband booster made by Hawking. May solve your problems.

http://www.sunrocket.com/

#20     Feb 27, 2006