Volvo is dead

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Mar 29, 2010.

Would you buy a chinese volvo

1. NO way

24 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. Yes

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. If most folks share KINGOFSHORTS's view, it might depress prices and create a nice opportunity to buy a late-model Volvo in the secondary market. Generally discontinued models (or even whole brands -- think Oldsmobile) trade cheap-to-the-curve in the used car market. And used Volvos have always traded cheap to comparably sticker-priced BMWs & etc anyway.

#21     Mar 30, 2010
  2. Will Volvo still have the reputation of being a safe family car?

#22     Mar 30, 2010
  3. Buzzed

Buzzed

Apples to oranges.

I don't fear that I might die if I use an iPhone.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g5SRyG6UR2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g5SRyG6UR2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Granted the test is not a Volvo, but as a consumer I wouldn't feel confident buying it if they do decide to move operations into China. Simply being owned by a chinese company automatically attatches a stigma to the Volvo name.

#23     Mar 30, 2010
  4. Crap cars. I do not buy Mexicanchinese Fords and GM anyhow.

We should follow a Mercantilist policy, China is doing it. We are dumbasses for sitting there with our thumbs up our collective ass thinking about free trade while china is slowly suffocating our nation like a python preparing to feed on the carcass of its prey.

#24     Mar 30, 2010
  5. So are they going to sell Volvo for Hyaundai prices?

#25     Mar 30, 2010
  6. aegis

aegis

Of course.

Cars that don't run are the safest of all.

#26     Mar 30, 2010
  7. cokezero

cokezero

Volvo is a dead brand anyways otherwise it won't be sold at a loss by Ford. Remember Ford bought it at $6.5 bln back in 1999.

The idea is not to revive Volvo as an appealing brand to the West. $1.8 Bln is a cheap price to pay to get their hands on one of the safest car technology in the world as well as the manufacturing process. They can make the money back in no time within the Chinese domestic market by making their car half as safe as Volvo and charge a premium over their current crappy models.

Think of it as buying an education.

As for Volvo, it's probably dead.

#27     Mar 30, 2010
  8. When was the last time you were in China? (a serious question)

I'm always amazed by the China "experts" on e'trader who've never set foot in the country.

#28     Mar 30, 2010
  9. cokezero

cokezero

I'm a "Hongkie" (Hong Kong). I guess that makes me living in China.

#29     Mar 30, 2010
  10. copa8

copa8

who knows what prices they sell for in 5-10 years.
    hyundai cars were like $5k when it started, now some go for $26k.

#30     Mar 30, 2010