Volume Threshold NQ

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by John9999, Apr 25, 2018.

1. John9999

John9999

I am looking to back test and figure out a volume rule for myself on NQ. I trade off a 3 minute chart. I want to establish a rule that says "if volume is under X, no go"

anyone have any ideas on how to establish this threshold?

2. fan27

fan27

You could calculate a moving average of volume and only take trades above the moving average.

3. John9999

John9999

yeah.... I have looked all over my platform for that but cannot find a MA for volume

I will keep looking

4. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

IMO, MUCH BETTER is percentile of volume AND price bar H/L range within those volume percentiles. More granularity, in tune with short and/or long term environment.

Of course, coding capability is necessary to carry out. Im not aware of any platform with such built-in.

5. John9999

John9999

this is nuts,,, I currently trade on Etrade... there are over 60 indicators available... I cannot find a Volume Average indicator... anyonw got advice

6. redman

redman

not familiar with platform.......does anything happen when cursor is placed over the volume bars or window and right clicked?

7. John9999

John9999

nope... but if I really want to I can load up another charting package at same time that has Volume Moving average