volume scanner

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by riskreward, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I'm looking for a scanner that looks for unusually high volume (like 100-200 percent) and large percent price change. Anybody have any ideas?

2. Neovest's First Alert was the best I've seen.

It could "prorate" volume data comparisons, which is important since volume is typically skewed at the beginning and end of the trading day.

E.g., find NYSE stocks that are projected to be 3x their 90 day average volume by comparing the volume at 9:45 to their normal volume at this same time of day. Minimum price is $30 and minimum daily volume is 250K. Run once a minute till 10:00.

You could very easily program the settings to your taste.

3. I will look into it. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I've heard good things about Neovest. Any other volume related features in it?

4. Neovest FA could do a great deal of scanning based on simple sets of arithmetic comparisons and boolean logic. You could get quite complex with it. You could also filter off basic chart formations. You could pass one set of filter results to another filter.

FA has some quirks and data maintenance was a chore at times, but it filtered very quickly on large groups of stocks.

Be aware FA has come out with a 'thin' version. The data maintenance chore was taken off your hands, but I heard you don't run your own scans with it on your hardware. Filters run off servers.

Check with Neovest to verify all of this. Seems full client ran about $250-300 a month and required a dedicated computer to run properly.

There are many scanners out there. Define your needs, your budget, and take your time.

Good luck

5. This is all you need. It is what I use everyday to filter only stocks that are trading above average volume. Like FA which I also use it compares the volume on a "prorate" type basis, that is it looks at what it has traded today vs a 3 day average at the same time over the last 3 days.

I have found this somewhat superior to Neovests way of doing it which uses a 20 day Vol Av I believe.

Cheers.

http://www.cyclopstools.com/index.php

6. www.trade-ideas.com has that filter as well as its counter parts.

7. I haven't used it yet, but HotScans does this: http://www.marketgauge.com :)

8. DT1

DT1

Amibroker can do that . It costs a one time fee of 99$. Probably the best value for money.

DT1

9. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

May also want to look at eSignal's real-time Market Scanners The Scanners easily identify stocks trading under heavy volume along with % gainers and losers, all in realtime. Also, with the Rally scan you can identify unusual spikes in varying hour segments during the trading day. If you sign-up for MarketCenter or eSignal, you'll get a free 30 day scanner trial to boot. Please see our site for more information.

Thanks.

10. emk662

emk662

Does your product provide individual volume size scan? For example, I like to find the stock whose single trade has an unusual volume size.

Thanks.

#10     Oct 7, 2003