Volume and time of day

Discussion in 'Forex' started by JangoFolly, Jun 19, 2005.

1. What time(s) of day (Eastern time) are typically peak for both price movement and volume in the forex market? Does it differ significantly for the currency pair one is trading (e.g., EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY, AUD/USD)? Are there any real-time broad measures of market volume for specific pairs?

Thank you.

Regards,

2. For the EUR/USD the biggest movement happens between 8am and 9am EST. If news is released. I don't know about volume but 100+ pip moves is common.

3. EUR/JPY I'm finding lately has good action around 6pm-9pm Eastern time.

4. Yes, the peak times differ dramaticaly among currency pairs. I would highly recommend that you educate yourself (google will do) about the significance of Asian, European and American sessions, and their sub-sessions, within a 24-hour forex trading day. Your first two questions will then answer themselves.

5. It would not be accurate to say that the peak volatility period for EUR/USD overall is 8-9 am EST.

First, on key US news days at 8:30, very little is going to be happening between 8 and 8:30. It's a "slo-mo" time in the forex market.

Second, the 8:30-9 am period still pales in comparison, on average, with the first hour or two following the European session open at 2 am EST; and with the periods following key news releases in Germany, UK and elsewhere in Europe, which normally take place at 4:00, 4:30 or 5:00 am EST.

6. That is a quote I made 4 months ago when I first started in Forex and made maybe 1 real trade.

Now I believe that between 11pm EST and 7am EST has the biggest moves for EUR/USD, GBP/USD and USD/CAD.

7. thruline

thruline

Here's a rept from Aug '04 that goes into depth on best times to trade 4 majors.

Thru