Volt, 40K car! False economy.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Scions are decent alternatives to Corolla. I had a Corolla for 16 years and then switched off to Scion and couldn't be happier. They have some rebate programs that sweetened the deal, so I was getting the car for just slightly above a used version only 1-2 years old with low mileage.

Personally, I am a huge fan of the xB because it lets me avoid the minivan and the SUV and gives me reasonable mpg (22/28 -- on the low end for the class, but still "good enough.") In fact, the xB is so practical there are cab companies in Chicago using them in their fleet. That's how I first experienced the xB, and let me tell you I was sold. The traction control in the snow, the spacious interior, the mpg. A dream economy car, for me anyway.

#21     Jul 28, 2010
  2. Bob111

Bob111

#22     Jul 28, 2010
  3. Yes, I knew this. I just meant to suggest the line-up for economy cars shouldn't be restricted to just cars under the Toyota name, particularly the Corolla or the Matrix.

#23     Jul 28, 2010
  4. zygoting

zygoting

Your friend payed way too much. Actually, you can get a brand new Toyota Corolla for less than $14k. I found some for as low as $12, 971. I even saw one for $11,998 but that's now gone. I don't really need one, but I've been bouncing around the idea of buying one because they're so cheap, but then I'm affraid I'll have steering issues as reported in the news.

#24     Jul 28, 2010
  5. Bob111

Bob111

it's probably something with manual transmission,no power windows,doors, one driver side mirror and no a/c.. they use to make those.. trust me-you don't want stuck in 2-3 hours traffic jam in that car. i'm big fan of manual tranny,but once i got into 4 hours traffic jam on way back from JFK,driving ford sho with manual tranny...man...my legs hurts for week or so..:)

#25     Jul 28, 2010
  6. Agreed. I purchased my 96 used 1 year later with 20k. It has all of the options. I have 190k on it and it runs strong, wouldn't hesitate to drive cross country. Point being buy a used one that has been checked out by mechanic. That said my next car with probably be a new Elantra. As I mentioned a few years back Toyota started to rest on their laurels and Hyundai would be the Toyota of 20-30 years ago.

#26     Jul 28, 2010
  7. Bob111

Bob111

yep..i stick to that rule too..buy used,2 years old,just off the lease. preferably at auction(if you have good friend,who happens to be used car dealer)
    they all still under factory warranty and you can have them at half of the price. car in US depreciate the most in first 3 years.

#27     Jul 28, 2010
  8. GTS

GTS

Actually the opposite is true - dealers make money writing auto loans...they prefer buyers with good credit who finance through the dealership over those that pay cash or come with outside financing already arranged... but as others have said how you are going to pay for the car shouldn't even come up during negotiations.

#28     Jul 28, 2010
  9. ban all cars going less than 50 mpg. easiest way to solve environmental problems.

#29     Jul 28, 2010
  10. pspr

pspr

The vehicle will have zero value in 8 years or 100,000 miles. That is the warranty on the batteries and they will be prohibitively expensive to replace in a used car. So, the car depreciates by 41 cents a mile. Most other cars today have a life much longer than 100,000 miles without a prohibitively expensive repair.

#30     Jul 28, 2010