Volatility

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by hjkl, Aug 2, 2005.

1. gummy

gummy

I've found that very little in financial analysis is precise (including that square-root-of-time stuff), but I suggest that one use whatever definition happens to be in vogue ... so everybuddy is speaking the same language :)

However, I'd be interested in how you would calculate annual volatility?

#31     Aug 9, 2005
  2. Note to self:
    Be sure to narrow correct context, then conclude/surmise. :)

#32     Aug 9, 2005
  3. It depends for what purpose. Trading ? I would rather use ATR. Option pricing ? sorry, my methods are only for sale :) Portfolio management ? sorry again, the method is for sale :)

#33     Aug 9, 2005
  4. gummy

gummy

Aha! Now I see why you are critical of methods used by others :D

P.S. My methods are free ...

#34     Aug 10, 2005
  5. That's life... my methods (but I'm not the one to sell them as I got paid to develop them for others) are for sale, but you make money out of them. The standard method is free...but you don't get a penny...and usually get fucked by people using my (or others) method...

#35     Aug 10, 2005
  6. Hmm, It certainly hasn't been difficult in the past, to detect an air of crass arrogance. :D

#36     Aug 10, 2005
  7. gummy

gummy

I've noted (with amusement) science_trader's cryptic statements:

"It's just a question of Hurst exponent."**

"something totally inaccessible to people not trained in probs"

and even the obvious
    "if the market is an infinite-variance process, 'volatility' is infinity"

Actually, I'd explain why the Hurst exponent has nothing whatsoever to do with skew or kurtosis, but my explanation is for sale ... :p

#37     Aug 10, 2005
  8. Did I say that Hurst exponent was in relation with skew or kurthosis ? I don't think so. Next time I'll write a complete sentence for people to understand better.

#38     Aug 10, 2005
  9. gummy

gummy

No, you didn't, but I'd still be happy to prove* that it doesn't ... for a price :cool:

*There's this thing I have about mathematical "proofs" of events that occur in the real world
    ... in particular, "proofs" of things financial.

One of my favourite quotes:
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." ... Albert Einstein

#39     Aug 10, 2005
  10. Beware of the multifractality of prices in your study :)

Don't give Einstein to much credit for his works. I have studied physics and I didn't find his works were really so great (with all due respect). I much better appreciate Feynman's ideas...and life :)

#40     Aug 10, 2005