Volatility trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by drukes1234, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Buying some TASR 7.5 JAN Calls

2. Taking some profit here on the TASRE calls as they are up 150% today

3. Taking some more profit here as the TASRE calls are up 200%

4. Is that a volatility play or did you just go long the stock?

5. Well, I think we all know he was trading deltas/vol, but I see your point. This really belongs in the directional options thread, or start a journal.

These one liner long call/put trades really don't qualify as a vol-trade; there is no mention of hedging ancillaries and somewhat pointless taken in the titled-context.

6. It's amazing how almost all threads replying to a post where someone has success has a negative tone.

I'll continue posting here under volatility trading because my trades are usually in excess of 50% gain.

Regards

7. I'm not suprised you're amazed, and my tone wasn't negative. Your gains of 50% have very little to do with option volatility. That's the point. Congrats on the TASR winner.

8. Huh... since you mentioned it. I don't see how you could be up 200% on TASRE calls considering the stock has done nothing[but go down] since you mentioned the trade. Today is the first uptick in a week.

9. TASRE Jan 7.5 call. Feb and back months have a similar chart. In fact, vols have declined slightly until today's move.

10. I'm looking at the exact same chart and can't comprehend how you don't see a 200% gain today.

Yesterday it closed at .10 --- today it's a .3

that's 300%

Any questions?

#10     Dec 21, 2005