Volatility Filter

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by dima777, Sep 30, 2008.

1. dima777

dima777

I see..thanks for the clarification...to clarify the purpose of my thread - I was interested in what are the methods to use volatility to filter out mega turbulent times...:) A simple rule as one below can be a good starting point:

IF CURRENT TR= ATR + N STANDARD DEVIATIONS => STOP TRADING (AND...GET SOME SLEEP:)

#11     Oct 2, 2008
  2. dima777

dima777

can you please refer me to the document you are speaking of? thanks!

#12     Oct 2, 2008
  3. bespoke

bespoke

I used to change position size based on volatility (usually ATR) but this past month I kept my position size constant and all my systems/edges were at least 100% more profitable than the months before.

So for me, I'm going to embrace this volatility and profit from it while it lasts. I have extreme confidence in my systems as I've rarely had a losing day this year.

So, that's just another point of view.

#13     Oct 2, 2008
  4. dima777

dima777

thanks for your opinion! it would be interesting of the system components that you use

#14     Oct 2, 2008
  5. #15     Oct 2, 2008
  6. three words, look at chart.

#16     Oct 3, 2008
  7. dima777

dima777

I have found during extensive testing of different systems that looking at chart is best substituted with a rigid computational algorithm...in short - allow your pc to do the looking - that is, encapsulate your logic into a set of rules that the computer can evaluate objectively.

#17     Oct 3, 2008