Vol-trading for beginners

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Feb 14, 2021.

1. caroy

caroy

Curious as to fly set ups in terms of R/R profit tent. I've been gravitating towards ones that have above a 3:1 pay out. Usually these have to be somewhat directional but I find if IV is high enough they can be done with the first leg in the money.

#41     Feb 16, 2021
  2. destriero

destriero

No, I am not trading out to July. I've only posted one trade in this thread--my son's 121 fly. The rest are quoted for demonstration purposes and chosen completely at random. Any real trades will include fill prices.

#42     Feb 17, 2021
    ITM_Latino, .sigma and deltaf0rce like this.
  3. destriero

destriero

I am long MSTR in size. Completely outside the scope of this thread, but I don't have anywhere else to post it.

2021-02-17_12-44-36.png

#43     Feb 17, 2021
  4. destriero

destriero

I expect to see 1050 by end of the week.

#44     Feb 17, 2021
  5. I'm holding given longer term implications of BTC on their balance sheet... I'm surprised WSB haven't identified this as a YOLO trade yet.

I am a total beginner with options; only sold my first put on PLTR this week (usually trade Futures and CFDs). If you're getting round to this excuse my post; but it would be great to know the basic framework (in simple english) around these plays, e.g. long or short butterflies, weeklies/monthlies, trades for high or low IV environments.

#45     Feb 17, 2021
  6. destriero

destriero

I didn't trade any naked positions (strangles or straddles) today. I think I jumped the gun anyway as I was going to cover half sized (synthetic) combos first.

Tomorrow I will trade a synthetic short straddle (half lot), post the fill in real-time, and then address it after the close. Stay tuned, f*ckers.

#46     Feb 17, 2021
    ITM_Latino, .sigma and qlai like this.
  7. destriero

destriero

50 likes?!

I've so many to thank. I'd like to thank the Academy and all those haters in the Pol-forum. A record number of likes. #humbled

2021-02-17_17-11-45.png

#47     Feb 17, 2021
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Trade as a fly, normally you won't get a fill at mid. But you can always get fill if you are willing to pay. Perhaps that was why Dest sometimes did synthetic and iron?

You won't do ITM if you know you will be giving money away?

#48     Feb 17, 2021
  9. ironchef

ironchef

#49     Feb 17, 2021
  10. destriero

destriero

I'll hit up the thread in the morning with the half size combo. I forgot to put one on today. Strange day. Vols up across the board, ended flat (+2K) but my downside long vega only began to earn near the close.

#50     Feb 18, 2021
    ChipShotTrader likes this.