Vol-trading for beginners

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Feb 14, 2021.

1. destriero

destriero

10) Split-strike synthetics.

Synthetics are forwards. A synthetic long is a short put/long call at x. A synthetic short traded at strike x would result in a cover. A short synthetic at y is termed a box arbitrage and must be separated by a strike--hence split strike.

Long the 90 synthetic and short the 100 synthetic = long the 10 point box. Arbs look to buy the box under $10 and shorts look to sell the box over $10.

You can dissect the box as two strangles.

You're long the 90/100 box which consists of a short put/long call at the 90-strike and a short call/long put at the 100-strikes. To express the box as a pair of strangles:

Short the 90P/100C strangle (outside strangle)
    Long the 90C/100P strangle (inside strangle) or "guts"

Therefore an outside strangle is equivalent to an inside strangle (less the strike diff). So an inside strangle at 19 is equal to the same-strike outside strangle at 9.

Two straddles separated by a strike = an inside and outside strangle. They are not arbs, but if you strangle two strikes (with two straddles) they trade equal (as constrained) as you're presented with a box arb.

Two strangles form a condor.

Back to single strike synthetics. Calendars at x-strike trade equal even if the price is different. Calendars struck to the forward trade equal on premium.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    #31     Feb 15, 2021
  2. destriero

destriero

11)Synthetics in practice

The natural and synthetics trade equal so why trade the synthetic? Microstructure. You're looking at the following 231P fly in GOOGL:

2100. 1700/2000/2600P for Jun 2021 at 265 to the buy.

You can buy the 231P fly as the natural and fill at 266 inside the NBBO of 260x268. No worries. There is no imminent assignment risk as your short strike is 100 OTM, but it's a game of inches. Maybe you want to leg into this over the weekend. You can't leg it as a natural with that 500-point ITM put leg. You can't hold any portion of that vertical without taking a substantial delta position. Here I am referring to legging a 121 fly via the iron (straddle -> strangle).

More importantly, there is no demand for the DITM put leg. It's an issue of (missed) opportunity and microstructure. Sure, the MMer realizes that the natural and the combo trade equal, but he can't quickly deconstruct the thing if he wanted to and lay off a combo.

The 1700/2000/2600 231P asym-fly can be traded as:

Short two 1700/2000 put spreads x short one 2000/2600 call spread. A combo. Trades equal.

ALWAYS DEFAULT TO TRADING OTM STRUCTURES WHEN POSSIBLE.

Don't short ITM legs if possible to avoid.

Again, I keep all of this data and I have saved four cents per contract over a year of trading (000s of thousands) AMZN and GOOGL options. Simulated. Variance on mid of the synthetic vs. the natural. The data assumes that the natural would fill at the same size as my synthetic.

My average daily var is about $30K. May seem like a lot may seem like nothing. I know that DITM legs are not truly marked in real-time and with someone like IBKR those aberrant marks (discounting your DITM long leg) may result in an auto-liquidation.

#32     Feb 15, 2021
  3. deltaf0rce

deltaf0rce

If this thread really turns into a year long guided effort / tutelage, I will fund a real account above pattern day trader limits and post updates. I was kind of in the process of doing so anyway but this feels like a sign. The only thing that’s been giving me pause was feeling like it needed to be portfolio margin level to get the required margin relief and I didn’t want to throw those eggs into the basket. I still might but I am curious to get good enough playing “small ball” and feel like o earned it

#33     Feb 15, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  4. Great thread! ... Much of the savings you eluded to are for size... hence seems the PM would be a must...

#34     Feb 15, 2021
  5. horizon

horizon

Would you explain why wait until the last 30 min of the trading day to enter the position? i think the last 30 minutes of trading, the vol is normally spike up a bit, so it is a good time to enter?

#35     Feb 15, 2021
  6. destriero

destriero

You trade the close so that you won't get hit with a PDT violation if you're trading <$25K. You'll be forced to carry the trade overnight.

#36     Feb 15, 2021
    horizon likes this.
  7. The journal is an incredible resource. We are lucky to have Destriero taking the time to put this together for us. Judging by some of the questions asked, some of the people reading this journal are clearly not putting the effort into carefully reading what’s written and actively attempting to think things through.

Most every word and example Destriero provides has great weight and many concepts are related to each other. If every reader who did not already know the subject matter Destriero is putting forth, learns and applies it to their trading, the average amount of edge gained multiplied by the number of traders over X period of time make this thread’s value astronomical. As such, we newbie traders can afford to put some effort into learning, including looking up terms and researching related concepts. It is a rare, if not a unique opportunity to learn from a exceptional, proven trader. Let’s try to not piss Destriero off. Personally, after I have exhaustedly read, reread, and spent quality time trying to think things through, would I dare approach Destriero with a question on something I didn’t understand.

#37     Feb 15, 2021
    zghorner, Flynrider, Atikon and 9 others like this.
  8. destriero

destriero

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    #38     Feb 16, 2021
    longandshort, Atikon and ironchef like this.
  9. destriero

destriero

I am going to go over a structure traded just for the thread after the close tomorrow. I'll start with a URO (naked risk) position and discuss how to model, stress, mitigate risk.

#39     Feb 16, 2021
  10. .sigma

.sigma

This is what I was wondering... is this GOOGL 231p just for examples sake, or a trade you'd actually open? Because the JUL21 2600 puts have 0 OI, in fact the whole chain looks illquid. What about ITM strikes with massive liquidity?

So always try to open flies with all 3 strikes OTM, this might be hard for me as I've been opening a lot of natural ATM.

#40     Feb 16, 2021