Vol-trading for beginners

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Feb 14, 2021.

1. .sigma

.sigma

@destriero how relevant/important do you think it is for a trader (more so neophyte) to understand at least the basics of exotics?

I guess what I’m trying to say is, does a knowledge of how exotics are priced/work help a speculator using vanilla?

Reason for asking is, I’ve read posts where you predict a touch of a strike BEFORE the touch of another strike. Spot at $100, you’ll predict it’ll touch $120 before it touches $80. Is this based off any exotic metrics/knowledge?

I’ve seen @samelazyelement and yourself speak about butterflies being similar to a double barrier.

Every option book I get my hands on I automatically go to the index and look for fly material, and I did this with Dynamic hedging, and sadly there’s only a few sentences dedicated to the fly, but Taleb instead compares butterflies to the “bet spread”, never heard of a bet spread but its payout is similar to flies.

#321     Apr 16, 2021
  2. destriero

destriero

Don't get me started. He'll start stalking again (past Paloma comments).

Binaries are simply discrete verticals. There is no benefit to pricing exotics or any color added unless you want to visualize skew as a delimited touch payout (vanna volga priced 20D up/down touches (not packaged as DNTs)).

#322     Apr 17, 2021
  3. it365

it365

@destriero intra day or even one day to the next, how can we know if volatility is high enough to short it. Is this based on experience on SN or index? Do we create a database and try to guess based on previous ups and downs? I am thinking daily IV may be below or above HV but may still have intra day changes to take advantages. How do we effectively predict this change?

#323     Apr 17, 2021
  4. destriero

destriero

You'll know when your PNL exceeds your vol-figure. :)

The majority of novices short vol indiscriminately; short gamma when they want to short vol (weeklies); short neutral deltas at inception.

I can't tell you what level to short vols. You'll either never hit that decile or you'll be short everything. Stress positions using weekly options. IOW, if you're short vol in a 6W position--price the 5W position to arrive at your 1W hold. Obv this won't hold if the 6W is within an earnings release (and the 5W isn't).

Structurally, it's best to be short delta at inception when shorting vol. Note the prevailing skews by strike forward vol on a strike touch. The ATM line is 18 and the 30D down and out is 22... price 22 vol at time on a strike touch.

There is no edge loss to vega when buying upside vol on index. Anyone who tells you that simply doesn't know what they are doing in the space.

Don't short upside strikes unless it's a de facto delta position or net-long vols. Stickiness is a thing and you will get ravaged selling calls/cs.

#324     Apr 17, 2021
    ITM_Latino, .sigma, Atikon and 2 others like this.
  5. tsznecki

tsznecki

You are talking index not SN yes ^?

#325     Apr 17, 2021
  6. destriero

destriero

Yeah.

#326     Apr 17, 2021
  7. it365

it365

Thanks @destriero. I guess I was completely missing the change in vol with time aspect. This makes sense.

#327     Apr 17, 2021
  8. .sigma

.sigma

if there’s anything that desty has drilled into my membrane it’s: “time is synthetic vol, vol is synthetic time”

#328     Apr 17, 2021
    destriero likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

That is mostly a palindrome. I like it.

#329     Apr 18, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  10. Thanks for all the info and definitely gonna subscribe for more credible info like this one.

#330     Apr 19, 2021