Voice Recognition Software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gordo, May 23, 2003.

1. gordo

gordo

Looked through the past topics and saw brief discussion on this topic. With this, I am wondering if anyone successfully uses VRS (Voice Recognition Software) in their trading. I have been curious about the practical benefits for a few years.

For order entry, many respondents favored hot keys over voice input. But what about other aspects that could directly benefit remote traders or the physically/learning impaired? What I am getting at is, is anyone currently using improved communication tools in their trading that go beyond the basic keyboard input? Things that may allow an advanced level of interaction, IE-video conferencing, web-ex presentations, ) and cut down on the typing and text based reading. Or haven't these applications been developed to practical level for traders? Not looking for anyone to give away any "edges", more interested in initiating a dialogue on the subject.

Gordo

P.S. a safe and happy Memorial Day holiday to all. :)

2. Hubert

Hubert

use hotcom to talk back and forth with traders or chatter box

both alow you to talk back and forth and to asl share chart

if you wnat an ex. just send me a pM and i will let you take a look

3. gordo

gordo

Hubert:

Thanks, I'll let you know when I can join you. What system requirements - hardware, headphone, etc?

thanks,

gordo

4. sempai

sempai

I tried using voice recognition software to write journals and such, but found that it it wasn't very accurate. I spent more time "training" the software and correcting the errors than I did just typing it out.

By the way, expect a lot of training the software since, as a trader, you will use various terms that the program doesn't understand.

What I mean by training, is that each individual has different voice patterns that the software has to learn. When it makes an error, you highlight the error and go to training mode. Then you have to repeat the word several times until the software learns your voice and the new term.

You also have to be very careful with your pronunciation and speak very clearly.

One thing I did like about voice recognition software was that it was pretty comical to read some of the stuff that it wrote when it substituted incorrect words for what I actually said, especially if you try to use it after having a couple of drinks!! (You'd be amazed at how much it screws up, even if you've just had one or two and think you are speaking perfectly clearly ). :p

5. IMHO, one of the first mistakes of using voice recognition software is this method of improper user training of the product. Rather than attempt to correct the speech pattern of the user, inform the software of what it was that you said that it mistook as something else.

I use a speech recognition (Dragon Naturally Speaking Pro V7.0 is the current version, just upgraded my older Dragon to this version a few months ago) product for writing most of my books and manuals. I took the time to train the software to what "I say and sound like" and I TOLD IT when it was wrong in its understanding. I did not try to breathe differently an enunciate the way it (the software) would like to hear it. It's been over a year now and having used the product extensively, it has learned to hear my flaws and understand what I mean.

It took a little longer at the onset of using the product, but now I am extremely pleased with the results. I do not have to remember to talk a certain way for the computer to understand me. I now talk at my regular pace and with the dialect that I was raised with and the computer does a great job of taking proper and correct dictation. Just as I/you would do with others who mispronounce words, my system now synthetically-mentally makes the adjustment of me. :)

6. sempai

sempai

Thanks canyonman00. Maybe I'll give it another try. I have Dragon Naturally Speaking 5.0 and I did just what you said - trying to pronounce more clearly when training, etc.

I'll see if just talking normally all of the time will help.

7. sempai

sempai

Dear Canyon man 0 0,

I've been doing some dictation with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 5.0 using my normal tone of voice, but this is what happens. As you can say, a test make a lot of mistakes. Sometimes, even after I train the program with specific words, it still has a hard time getting it right.

How long will it take before the program begins to make fewer mistakes? Any other tips or suggestions on how to get the error rate down a bit?

Thanks in advance.

Somebody

Dear canyonman00,

I've been doing some dictation with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 5.0 using my normal tone of voice, but this is what happens. As you can see, it tends to make a lot of mistakes. Sometimes, even after I train the program with specific words, it still has a hard time getting it right.

How long will it take before the program begins to make fewer mistakes? Any other tips or suggestions on how to get the error rate down a bit?

Thanks in advance.

Sempai

8. Well, my first recommendation would be to tell me what processor speed you're working with. That does make a difference in processing ability. Quality voice-to-text output results starts with at a minimum of 700 MHz (IMHO). Anything less than 500 MHz seems to lose robustness in output.

The next thing I'd suggest would be to upgrade the version of Dragon. I can attest to a change in software engine capability from 5.0 to 7.0 for sure.

As for training time, it took me an honest-to-goodness six hours to get a real noticeable improvement. For me in the long run, it was worth it. A year of real dedicated use has yielded a great and reliable working setup. :)

9. every two to three years, I attempt using voice recognition software, the "80-90%" accuracy is way too poor for me.

The last set I'd tried was Dragon...???? Anyway in the medical field, these errors could lead to major liabilities.... even with the "learning," it still makes mistakes.

If my job was to teach the software to be accurate, then it'll be great.

VR results even worse when using the Sony Memory Stick.

VR is still 2-5 years away from my use.

10. Sb1

Sb1

I have to agree with canyonman00, but he has the DNS Pro version which I also have and there was a big difference from the generic BestBuy store version and the DNS Pro version. I currently have DNS Pro 6.0 with a USB GN-Netcom headset, highly recommend a USB headset. Even DNS Pro 5 to 6 was a big difference. I only use mine for Word and IE, I wouldn't use the one I own for my trading software or executing trades.

I am also now interested in getting new VR software, my wrists always hurt. However DNS filed for bankruptcy in 2000 or 2001, which is to bad because they had the best one, and couldn't find out if their technology got bought out or not. Right now I don't know what is the best out there.

jeremysnow about how long ago did you test the DNS out? I assume you tried the DNS Pro Medical version, because if you did and it still had problems then I will also probably wait a little longer before I purchase another one.

#10     Jul 8, 2003