VLO- quotes at IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by iceman1, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Yes, I do have an account with IB, no I do not subscribe to options quotes through IB, and yes, I still manage to execute option trades through TWS.

Now, if you are such a smart ass, work out how to do just that. It's your money on the line anyway, not mine.

Happy trading.

#11     Dec 16, 2005
  2. Ice, things are good.

I failed to see you were on hold with IB at the time of the snafu. It is ironic that IB would gaff on an option split. I had the same $.10 for the 55puts, but the error was corrected as I attempted to lift the dime-offer. :)

#12     Dec 16, 2005
  3. if IB has serious quote issues on an underlying - how can you place orders on that underlying.... DUH!

Now-- do you "maybe" get it now? :D

no offense - genius---- good trading.

p.s. will review your suggestion in case I am missing something here- in other accounts at other brokers I can enter a price or sell/buy at market- and it will be executed accordingly. I thought if TWS doesn't display the quotes and/or they are grossly incorrect -- you can't get a proper fill @ IB.

When I caled their "trade" desk to have them place my trades- they didnt mention an alternative manner to route my options orders on VLO- on TWS.

Should they have?

Is there?

#13     Dec 16, 2005
  4. I do not subscribe to any quotes thru IB (stocks, options or futures), for many reasons. Partly, because their data feed seems to be all over the place most of the time ( specially if you follow the constant complaints about that on elite )

However, I still manage to use TWS primarily as an execution platform.

I cannot see why IB (or any other DMA broker) will refuse to route an order to the market when their internal quote feed is down.

But of course, I may be wrong and I just have been lucky sending orders even when their MarketData indicator ( lower right corner of TWS ) has been red.

Happy trading.

#14     Dec 16, 2005
  5. iceman, you don't need quotes from IB to trade on IB. Just place your market or limit order with the price you want. Execution is completely independent of market data.

Martin

#15     Dec 16, 2005
  6. thanks -very much !

Dumb!

interesting that no one at IB mentioned it when I was moaning. this morning? Go figure. Guess they figured I should have known it - but it would have been nice if someone @ IB had said you could place orders at any price- whle I was looking into the VLO quote issue. It wasn't the quotes I needed it was a way to enter orders on TWS - and I have been in the habit of clicking on the price to enter orders.

I go back to the days when I used to call guys (couple broker friends) at Chicago Corporation (pre ABn-AMRO) and at other brokers -- to place trades--- and when Esignal transmitted via FM - :D :D

-- so what can I say, I'm not a 'tech genius or programmer' guy - always traded discretionary. TWS is much more sophisticated compared with back then.

but will now spend some time with the TWS tutorial since maybe I should have known this, even if IB's "HELP desk?" didn't want to clue me in.

#16     Dec 16, 2005
  7. sounds right-- makes sense-- so guess I am the sucker at the table IF that is true.

IF it is true- then sorry for my comments- and guess I'm the "genius" ! :D :D

#17     Dec 16, 2005