vlan question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dividend, Aug 1, 2014.

1. would PCs on a vlan switch be able to access the internet through a seperate router that does not support vlan/802.1q ?

in other words, can a PC 1.1.1.1 on vlan1 on a switch by vendor A, talk to router by vendor B 9.9.9.9?

or does this require 802.1q to work?

thanks

2. #1, it sounds like you are trying to do something you aren't supposed to be doing. If you have to ask here it seems fishy - why not ask your IT guys/girls?

#2, does the machine have one NIC (network port) or two?

#3, what operating system?

#4, yes, almost anything can be done, just at what cost.

Normally when you run two different NICs you run into big QoS + Traffic Shaping issues. You really don't want to do what you are asking about/trying to do. You haven't described your setup at all so it's hard to give you an answer but with multiple NICs anything is possible - on my laptop I often hard-wire into a router/firewall to set it up rather than remote... and I keep the wifi on so I can mess around while things load/reboot... That's essentially the same thing. If you mean over the same physical NIC that's a whole different story, depends on the hardware and the OS and the software and the switch and the ISP's, etc. etc.

If you have to ask I'd say you probably shouldn't be doing it...

3. IamaMars

IamaMars

A good security practice is to separate management and user data traffic. The management VLAN, which is VLAN 1 by default, should be changed to a separate, distinct VLAN. To communicate remotely with a Cisco switch for management purposes, the switch must have an IP address configured on the management VLAN. Users in other VLANs would not be able to establish remote access sessions to the switch unless they were routed into the management VLAN, providing an additional layer of security. Also, the switch should be configured to accept only encrypted SSH sessions for remote management.