Vix

Discussion in 'Options' started by clarodina, Jun 6, 2009.

1. dmo would you put up a simple example of profit loss calculation on buying the 30 strike at $2.2 call option.

Says cash vix rally tomorrow from 29.62 to 31 and the call option is sell off in the market.

#11     Jun 7, 2009
  2. Pardon my intrusion, but you need much more than an example.

The entire concept of VIX options is foreign to you. Fibd a complete tutorial online, and begin there.

Mark

#12     Jun 7, 2009
  3. Thought it bore repeating since 99% of most errors in analyzing VIX come from this oft understood point.

#13     Jun 7, 2009
  4. If you want to buy vix jun call option (expiring in jun) should you uses the vix futures jun contract or the july contract? Some comment uses the july contract. The CFE webpage has a example that jun contract should be used. which 1?

#14     Jun 8, 2009
  5. Does futures converge to cash vix at expiration? When comparing the Special Opening Quote of vix options of some months, they are quite different from the cash vix.

Also where has a complete history month of the Special Opening Quote of vix options?

#15     Jun 8, 2009
  6. dmo

dmo

The underlying for june options is june futures.

#16     Jun 8, 2009
  7. Are index options like S&P500, DJI, Nasdaq, etc base on their relevant futures rather than cash? Just like vix bases on futures contract.

#17     Jun 8, 2009
  8. #18     Jun 8, 2009
  9. dmo

dmo

A few people here volunteer their time to answer questions and help steer people in the right direction. But nobody has time to educate a newbie from scratch and answer basic, fundamental questions that you can easily get the answers to yourself with a little effort.

A detailed description of each options contract is readily available on the internet. Each is different, and you should be intimately familiar with all the details of an options contract before you trade it. You need to study the info directly from the exchange

#19     Jun 8, 2009
  10. erol

erol

i don't have anything productive to add.... but I thought i'd just say that I wouldn't touch vix options with a 10-ft pole.

didn't someone on this forum mention they were right and they still lost money?

#20     Jun 8, 2009