VIX SOQ (VRO) Thread

Discussion in 'Options' started by PetaDollar, May 22, 2013.

1. There is no correct answer as to how MM books are run, as it all depends on how their VIX future position fits into their portfolio. There are numerous ways they could be hedging their futures, so it all depends on how they want to close the trade.

In the case of the Feb expiry, the high print doesn't necessarily mean the street was short the future; in fact, it could easily mean the exact opposite. If they were long the future and hedged it by selling options, they would have to buy those options back en masse on the open, driving up the price.

To be honest, though, I've never understood people who hold large future positions into the print without participating in the HOSS opening. Leaving yourself open to the risk of something you have no control over and can easily become disconnected from the true state of the market seems like a losing proposition to me, unless you're consciously making a bet on where you think the print will be in the morning.

#41     Apr 17, 2014
  2. lcs

lcs

hi FSU, i owe u an apology... just saw this and you have already answered this qn before... cheers!

#42     Apr 17, 2014
  3. sle

sle

Yup. A few possibilities that produce a very expiration risk profile. The two main buckets are - I might have VIX futures vs variance, in this case I'd want to collapse it into the strip vs variance; conversly, I might be carrying long or short ATMish options against the strip and play the BE game in which case I'd expire cash on all. In the first case I'll participate actively in the settlement process, while in second case I'd "watch it with interest" and only get involved if I feel like providing liquidity on a large imbalance (usually hedging myself with front month var later during the day).

#43     Apr 17, 2014
  4. lcs

lcs

sorry just 1 more question:

a) in order to determine the weights of each spx option strikes, how is the sqrt sign typically taken care of? or is it typically ignored assuming small changes in vol? more generally how to size spx options vs vix futures? vega flat i presume? any other creative sizing techniques?

---------------------------------------------------------------
    b) more philosophical qn and I am leaning towards (ii)
    i) is vix a portfolio of spx options? the strip has its own delta, gamma and theta even if the vega is used to net off the VIX future in some way after taking sqrt. does this mean that vix futures also has delta, gamma and theta? there is beta to spx from linear regression but is this beta in any way related to the strip's delta or just vol skew and 1/K^2?

ii) or is vix just a calculation using spx option prices and not really a portfolio? and since its calculation based on spx options, you can hedge the movement in vix using spx options. hedging vega risks but taking on gamma, theta and delta risks.
    Alan's reply in http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=94065
    does anyone know what is that well known theory?

#44     Apr 20, 2014
  5. We need this thread up and running again.

#45     Apr 13, 2020
  6. FSU

FSU

Hard to believe this was 6 years ago.
    Trading the VIX settlement is still a thing.

#46     Apr 13, 2020
    Tony Optionaro likes this.
  7. Previous settlement was wicked and rumor has it that a certain firm blew up on the previous print, so it is definitely "a thing". What are your thoughts for this Wed?

#47     Apr 14, 2020
  8. Anything above 40 is good for me. Not Ronin was it?

#48     Apr 14, 2020
  9. FSU

FSU

#49     Apr 14, 2020
  10. The strip premium is pretty low this time, so I don't expect too many people carrying big size into the print. Also, no huge outstanding VIX options positions for tomorrow, so no expiration gamma to speak of. Expect calm weather.

#50     Apr 14, 2020