VIX Options Halted

Discussion in 'Options' started by trefoil, Nov 7, 2012.

1. The answer is go to a broker that doesnt auto liq if you run size. As far as the CFE issue the other day, well you can't be liquidated if the exchange is down :)

#11     Nov 9, 2012
  2. Right, but you can get liquidated on the first second when it opens, for some wide bid/ask..

#12     Nov 9, 2012
  3. IB will liquidate your positions in other markets. This happened to me via after-RTH bad marks in 2007. They closed out all of my forex positions. Fortunately, none were large that particular night.

#13     Nov 9, 2012
  4. gmst

gmst

Did they refund you because obviously it was due to the bad marks? Did they re-instate the positions later? Or perhaps was the PL change so small or even positive that you didn't bother.

#14     Nov 9, 2012
  5. This. The forex positions were small.

A series of frantic calls to IB support prior to market open fixed the bad marks so no further liquidation.

#15     Nov 9, 2012
  6. They liquidated after hours? I have been explicitly told by senior management that they will only liquidate during regular trading hours for a particular product. I know, not exactly a guarantee should their algo clear your book. That's very alarming. :mad:

#16     Nov 9, 2012
  7. TskTsk

TskTsk

Yes, IB liquidates after-hours. This is a big problem as you often have very large bid/ask spreads after market. IB is great in most other aspects, but make sure your excess liquidity NEVER drops below zero. You will be ruined. Trust me.

#17     Nov 10, 2012
  8. sle

sle

Right, that was my question - I knew that CFE disrupted for system reasons and my PB did not bother me about my positions. So it had to be driven by the broker - was this MtM dislocation/problem driven by IB alone or by other retail brokers too?

#18     Nov 10, 2012
  9. when they extend their hours thats gonna be another problem. that last f up had nothing to do with any market bias either. i'll test the waters with advantage.

#19     Nov 10, 2012
  10. No offense but i have evidence that says otherwise thus my surprise that Kevin got liquidated. I have somewhat sizable retail and institutional accounts with them and its unlikely that they[senior management] would lie to my face but in light of recent developments i am getting skeptical. Other than asking me to trust you perhaps you could elaborate on why you think they liquidate outside of reg trading hours.

#20     Nov 10, 2012