vix options/futures

Discussion in 'Options' started by Guile, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

It's not a straight arb. There is a white paper on the CBOE web site that explains how the vix options are priced off the spx options.

#31     Oct 17, 2006
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

There are a lot of holes in the post. When I have some time, I'll try to pick it apart for you. I'm really busy at the current time but I'll try to get to it later in the week. Don't feel bad though, most people don't understand the product.

#32     Oct 17, 2006
  3. jj90

jj90

Mav, what I mean VIX vol vs SPX vol is that since the VIX options are priced off the VIX futures which are priced off the SPX options, if the VIX option vol for example for the near month is say 20 because of huge buying, when the near month futures is showing SPX option vol is 12, you can sell options on VIX and buy options on SPX. That looks like arb to me, since the VIX futures have no carry and thus no premium. I apologize in advance if this post is just a repeat of my previous one. I do admit my ignorance on the subleties on VIX.

#33     Oct 17, 2006
  4. MTE

MTE

OK, I'm no expert on VIX futures/options, so feel free to correct me, but as far I know VIX futures/options are priced off the variance swap, which means that it's not that simple to exploit any arb opportunities.

#34     Oct 17, 2006
  5. They are. The atm straddle should be in-line with a var-swap of the same-duration. The var-swap was under the atm vix straddle last time I checked, apparently due to the method by which the vol-surface is calculated under VIX.

The synthetic VIX is currently priced at 12.80% with the VIX cash at 11.53%.

#35     Oct 17, 2006