vix options/futures

Discussion in 'Options' started by Guile, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Guile

Guile

Is anybody using this product to hedge volatility risk? Are they a decent hedge? Appreciate any info on your experience trading these products.

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Great trading product if you understand how to model volatility.

3. Guile

Guile

Do you feel that they track equity index implied volatility fairly well?

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes, they do. Goldman published a white paper that is on the cboe web site that gives the formula for how the vix is priced of the spx volatility.

5. Guile

Guile

Thanks for your info guys but I've already been to the exchange website. Have you guys used it in actual trading and if so, did you find it useful?

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Like I said, it's a great trading product esepcially if you trade index vol. In other words, you trade the vix with the spx.

7. Guile

Guile

Thanks Maverick. I'll try it out.

8. No offence, but asking if VIX tracked equity index vol is a little non-sensical if you are familiar with the VIX calculations :eek: Oh well.

As for trading VIX options: I have dabbled but I do not find them useful just yet as my brain isn't as big as Maverick's. I believe it requires having a firm grasp of the pricing of VIX futures/forwards which has numerous subtleties and nuances that are non-transparent.

Hitherto, I have preferred to trade the strip vols directly if I'm speculating on that rather than trading a product that is twice removed.

Rallymode has come up with some interesting calendar trades for VIX options. He's floating around here somewhere...

Good luck.

MoMoney.

9. Well then, that renders in unusable for 100% of this community. It's a perception trade -- there is nothing to mark the product, and nobody is doing arbitrage on these. Useful as nuke-insurance.

#10     Oct 13, 2006