VIX FUTURES contract

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Bsulli, Sep 5, 2003.

1. vega

vega

A derivative of a derivative of a derivative.....:p Trade 'em up !!

#11     Sep 5, 2003
  2. The technique was developed in Germany the
    VDAX future, however, there was never real liquidity into it
    and it is no longer listed.

#12     Sep 5, 2003
  3. Anyone know how it will be settled?

#13     Sep 5, 2003
  4. I'm also very much looking forward to these, particularly the new VIX options. Structuring positions to isolate the vega on the VIX should be an interesting exercise to say the least.

#14     Sep 5, 2003
  5. ktm

ktm

I agree with you all. This is an outstanding development and adds one more tool to the arsenal of options traders of all persuasions.

I think I read that they are cash settled.

The additional fact that they are providing day by day historical prices of VIX vs. VXO means that backtesting can occur...a very nice surprise.

#15     Sep 6, 2003
  6. Pabst

Pabst

Hmm, KTM. I thought physical delivery of gammas and vegas would be most interesting.:D

#16     Sep 6, 2003
  7. My guess is the proposed VIX contract will be unsuccessful. It might be appealing to some of you as a place to lay off risk in your option positions, but there will not be any degree of public acceptance.

OldTrader

#17     Sep 6, 2003
  8. Foz

Foz

Expanding on what Vega said...

Once the VIX options start trading, you could calculate a VIX prime, or "volatility of volatility". Instead of a "fear gauge", you'd have a "fear of fear gauge".

"I'm not worried about a bear market, but I am worried about other people becoming worried about a bear market -- so I'll buy some VIX calls." :p

#18     Sep 6, 2003
  9. ktm

ktm

Well I thought I'd try and help him...didn't give it much thought but I had to laugh when I read yours. I'll leave a spot in the garage for the vega...hope they send me a clean one, maybe black with some mag wheels and a Hurst shifter.

#19     Sep 6, 2003
  10. Lol. :D
    Obviously it would be cash settled, but for some reason when I read that article I thought, "oh wow, Vix futures. I wonder how that's going to work" and I just posted the question.

#20     Sep 7, 2003