VIX fly / spread journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jgills, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Time for a new nick, weez. Native spreads trade in nickel increments, is that so?

#81     Dec 27, 2012
  2. You want to pull your head out of your ass now? Thanks for your support.

#82     Dec 27, 2012
  3. I wouldnt take advice from someone who isnt familiar with simple contract specs. Everyone i know who trades these refers to them by months or duration not symbols so feel free to call your flies as you wish, anyone with half a brain who can pull up a quote understands what you are talking about.

#83     Dec 27, 2012
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

When I was on the institutional side, we even did ES rolls by month (for example: Dec-Mar roll).

Maybe the futures guys translated that for the floors. That I don't know.

#84     Dec 27, 2012
  5. Jgills

Jgills

you're right.

thanks all for clarifying the notation. now that i've got everyone's attention... are there any opinions on why the jun/jul spread is the widest 1m spread on the curve?

#85     Dec 27, 2012
  6. weezy

weezy

Jgills & cdcaveman- I do see the synthetic VIX spreads trade in $10 increments. I stand corrected on this. nice get.

SLE chimed in with his 2 cents but me thinks I hear crickets...with relation to his post.:eek: :

#86     Dec 27, 2012
  7. Jgills

Jgills

I see no prob with what sle said- i work on an OTC desk and thats where i learned the lingo. I dont think sle needs recognition to feel his post mattered. If you have nothing productive to say on the topic of the thread can you please stop posting here

#87     Dec 27, 2012
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Why did you do jun/jul?

#88     Dec 27, 2012
  9. Somehow you trade this stuff, ostensibly in some professional capacity, yet you don't know the spreads trade in pennies? How is that possible?

You're going to wait for it to go 65x70 here?

[​IMG]

#89     Dec 27, 2012
  10. Because it's the widest. ;)

#90     Dec 27, 2012