VIX fly / spread journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jgills, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sle

sle

Yo, send me a bloom pls

#471     May 6, 2017
  2. I'm long Oct outright ironically.. what else is there .. whole curve dumped down flat and low

#472     May 6, 2017
  3. Jgills

Jgills

funny, I'm long sep. I've been trying to just trade it around for 20bp here and there.. maintaing a small long. much easier 20bp than spreads these days with a chance of a bigger win lol.

#473     May 6, 2017
    i960 and cdcaveman like this.
  4. Jgills

Jgills

Today I entered into some new positions, the opportunity I see is selling calendar spreads pretty much everywhere on the curve. I choose selling jun jul and aug sep. The jun jul is very small for me, but the aug sep I'm doing bigger.

#474     May 16, 2017
  5. By selling you mean -/+

#475     May 16, 2017
  6. Jgills

Jgills

By selling the calendar I mean selling the calendar. Buying shorter dated and selling longer dated

#476     May 16, 2017
  7. I see. That's what I thought. Obviously you think the curve is over sold and steep .. time shall tell

#477     May 16, 2017
  8. Jgills

Jgills

I think the aug sep is literally a no brainer. Do u think otherwise? Does anyone out there? I want to hear the case from the other side so I can try to see what I'm missing.

#478     May 16, 2017
  9. i960

i960

This maddens me when people refer to selling a calendar spread as buying the front/selling the back. Maybe sometime during this century we'll get everyone on the same page (selling == sell front/buy back).

I don't know about "literally a no brainer". Everyone sees the VIX trade and the last 2-3 weeks have been nothing but talking about how low the VIX is. I wanna see if everyone else gets blown out first, then I'll hop on.

Chart_17-05-16_15-30-39.png

VIX is of course very low - but this isn't the lowest F3-F4 has been. If nothing significant happens in the next few months (it's definitely happened before) it's just going to end up painfully rolling down that steep curve.

Chart_17-05-16_15-32-03.png

Where's the bid?

#479     May 16, 2017
    Adam777 and Dolemite like this.
  10. Dolemite

Dolemite

While there is a chance we could have some type of market moving event, the fact that there are so many complaining about the low VIX makes me think there are a lot of people long volatility and haven't capitulated yet.

#480     May 16, 2017
    i960 likes this.