VIX fly / spread journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jgills, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Good enough. I think the way you are doing you should be at 6 figure pretty soon.

#361     Jan 3, 2014
  2. Jgills

Jgills

for all that follow along here,

what has been the biggest mistake that you've made trading vix?

i think for me it was fear at first, trading something new and different.

2) i used to pay too much attention to curve shape and ignoring other factors like time and levels of vol

#362     Jan 9, 2014
  3. Doobs789

Doobs789

Hi Jgills. It's been awhile, I hope all is well.

Are you still trading vix futures (post margin hike)?

#363     Jan 10, 2014
  4. Jgills

Jgills

Hey Doobs yes i am. Ive been more focused in the first 3 spreads. What about you?

And to my previous post since i couldnt edit it, figuring out sizing and defining my risk is another thing ive been working on... how of you estimate your risk of a simple long or short spread?

#364     Jan 10, 2014
  5. A few mistakes:

1 - Focusing on the front months too much. Working on spreading out the action to the further out months.
    2 - Tracking the realized vol of VIX. Or not tracking it, actually. I ran a bunch of tests on 2007 and 2008 to see if hedging using the front months as I do would have worked, and it wouldn't have, for the surprising reason that the VIX bounced around too much, so if you made a bunch in one month from hedging by being long the front, you'd lose it the next. So now, I'm tracking the volatility of the VIX and if it goes over its long term average, I'll be exiting altogether.

#365     Jan 10, 2014
  6. Jgills

Jgills

have you tried including realized vol of spx in your indicator? i've looked briefly at levels of iv vs realized or vix vs realized to help determine exits or entries or to help me set better ratios

#366     Jan 10, 2014
  7. Yep, I keep track of 10 and 21 day vol on the SPX. 21 day is closest to 30 calendar days. (365-104-10(or 9, this is the no of holidays) =251/12=21)

But this isn't meant so much as an indicator as a kill switch. Having seen the wild swings VIX took in those years, trying to hedge via using the front months would just be a ticket to very high blood pressure and no real gain. Better to just stay on the sidelines.

#367     Jan 10, 2014
  8. Jgills

Jgills

rally (or anyone else with some input),

if you're around - i know you've said looking at data from 07 is pretty useless, but what do you think about 08? are using closing levels of vix futs at all a reliable proxy of where you could have executed a spread from say august to december 2008? what about 09? i'm just looking at a few things and am trying to figure out the reliability and std error of what i am seeing.

#368     Jan 15, 2014
  9. are you looking at EOD only?

#369     Jan 15, 2014
  10. Jgills

Jgills

Yes

#370     Jan 15, 2014