VIX fly / spread journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Jgills, Oct 22, 2012.

1. "If you expect a crash there are much better ways to position yourself without exposing yourself to a curve steepening."

this is exactly what i'm interested in! haha.... these ways with options.. or differently configured spreads in the futures..

#161     Jan 25, 2013
  2. Jgills

Jgills

yes that is what i thought as i looked at the curve from that time. the volume looked relatively non-existent.

i see you have private messages blocked. is there a way i can talk to you in private? there are some things i'd like to hear your opinion on that i would prefer not to post out in public.

#162     Jan 25, 2013
  3. j, the curve will only invert on real, repeated sustained high vol. those back futures can easily trade as is on even +4 or +5 spot vol price. at the same time i find it hard to see long vol going against you (much) currently either i just don't see back stuff earning bigtime.

really one of the answers is screen time..which you are building up right now. i would suggest some nearer combo stuff if ur bias is higher vol in the near term. truthfully i see so little edge right now also.

#163     Jan 26, 2013
  4. Jgills

Jgills

my bid got hit at 0.52 on the may/jun switch.

I am still long the july/aug and i've scalped some out of it. my cost for my current trade is 0.58.

those are my only positions.

anyone else?

#164     Jan 30, 2013
  5. Jgills

Jgills

hows everyone doing? haven't posted in a while but have been trading. ill post a quarterly update at the end of march. things have been going well for me and im still figuring a lot of things out.. anyone doing anything in the vix right now? lows that havent been seen in a long while

#165     Mar 12, 2013
  6. Jgills

Jgills

taking a trip tomorrow and for the rest of the month. as promised, here is my Q1 2013 performance. hope everyone is doing well.

#166     Mar 22, 2013
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Well done.

#167     Mar 22, 2013
  8. Jgills

Jgills

long time since i've posted here, but i'm thinking of starting to do it a little more.

i am debating selling the aug/sep/oct fly near 20 into todays close.

i think spx is near the top of its recent range, so if we get a sell off it can be decent in size.

i am choosing these months because i think a long position in july has way too much downside if vols sell off and i think this will be well positioned on any negative news by bernanke tomorrow.

i think my downside is 10-15bp. any opinions?

#168     Jun 18, 2013
  9. Jgills

Jgills

i accepted a fill at 18 a little before the close.

#169     Jun 18, 2013
  10. Hello, just saw your thread. I have never traded a fly but it looks interesting. My personal opinion/feeling is that VIX 12-16 is over for now and the new range is 15-20. From what you described I believe this would be good for you SPX options fly (that's what you're doing, right?)

#170     Jun 18, 2013