vix divergence from spx

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rc5781, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 1.) Most funds have already shut-down for the year and the Holiday Season results in lower volatility.

2.) There has been a "bid" under the market that has countered the previous "tone" of the market where massive liquidations were taking place back in October and November. Thus far in December, downside gaps have been bought, and so has a lot of "bad" news off of a short-term double-bottom that got put in in the SPX at 815 (Dec. 1st ) and 818 ( Dec. 5th ).

3.) We just went through a Quadruple Witching, which significantly effects the implied vols.

4.) Placing a lot of weight on the VIX as a market direction predictor can be VERY hazardous to your financial health.

#11     Dec 21, 2008
  2. DAMAGE to banks balance sheets is no way yet priced in if the commercial real estate default rate starts a mean run....:)

#12     Dec 21, 2008
  3. rc5781

rc5781

you're right there was no divergence at at all....

#14     Jan 14, 2009
  4. opt789

opt789

Thank you for posting, everyone here is now stupider for having read your ludicrous attempt at sarcasm.
    It is no surprise to me that so many people here fail to actually make a lot of money. When you posted you were trying to say there was a divergence in the VIX which was not true, but there was a very interesting anomaly several days ago. I am guessing you have no idea what it was or how to make money from it. Here is my p/l for the day, what is yours?

#15     Jan 14, 2009
  5. Most likely stocks will recover and the vix will crash.

#16     Jan 14, 2009