^VIX at a 52 week lowwww!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by S2007S, Nov 16, 2006.

1. I knew that. Or were you reminding yourself?

Anyway, if predicting the direction of the inexes were as easy as tracking the vix wouldn;t we all be doing so?

#11     Nov 16, 2006
  2. i theorize this phenomenon has a lot to do with the black boxes and automated programs locking up volatility... watching the nasdaq l2 is like playing space invaders

i think reality will kick in though it will likely be event driven.... some sort of black swan thing... this market is just like it was before the liquidity blow out in may....

just dont be the last guy holding the bag...

#12     Nov 16, 2006
  3. dac8555

dac8555

1. if you knew that, then you wount say it means nothing
    2. the VIX does not track the indices...it tracks volatility.
    3. nobody said it was easy.
    4. I would tell you how to take advantage of a volatility play but you annoy me.

#13     Nov 16, 2006
  4. dac8555

dac8555

except it lacks logic and reason.

#14     Nov 16, 2006
  5. volatility is at a low, this usually means a positive sentiment is around the corner, no?

#15     Nov 16, 2006
  6. dac8555

dac8555

no, not quite...it means that odds are high that a higher volatility environment is right around the corner. Sentiment is independent of this.

Vix is calculated but the with puts and calls on the CBOT...sorry i dont know the exact equation on how they calculate it. but...

the last several months we have been in a very tight channel with very little deviation (beta) from a very tight trend channel...it has basically wbeen a straight line in one direction.

A super low vix means look out for possible big movement either up or down...or both.

the word of the day is...STRADDLE.

#16     Nov 16, 2006
  7. jan168

jan168

so, you play long and short at same time.
    would you mind sharing what you're longing and what shorting at this moment.

#17     Nov 16, 2006
  8. dac8555

dac8555

the VIX is calculated with the S&P options contracts and their volatility. as volatility goes up, the price of both calls and puts increases...

so i would be looking for an S&P 140 straddle, if the prices of those options are historically low to ba able to take advantage of a large volatility premium versus the price.

#18     Nov 16, 2006
  9. Mr B

Mr B

hmmm vix could be at a low because in the atmosphere of demand for more alpha (eg loads being poured in hedge funds which have higher alpha) risk premiums are slashed (see credit spreads market) and therefore volatility slows.

the VIX is said to be the level of implied volatility priced into American style stock options using the binomial equation - I don't know how the index itself is composed though. More volatility means more expensive options, which is what causes vix to rise.

#19     Nov 16, 2006
  10. jan168

jan168

dac855:
    how far out? is it for next month DEC 06 or 07 ? ATM, ITM or OTM or look into the delta?

#20     Nov 16, 2006