VIX and TICK - how to use and for what ?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by richk, Sep 10, 2002.

1. The daily VIX and intraday TICK often exhibit very exact trends.

#31     Feb 15, 2003
  2. Tick values of +1000 are good for a couple of points in the S&P's in the opposite direction. In other words, get short for 2 points. Recommended on if traded on a short term basis.

You can make some consistent money using that strategy if you're a daytrader only ... not looking to hold position for more than 15 minutes.

Although I've never done an exhaustive study; I've noticed about a 60% profitability. It works best in a choppy market.

But here's the $64 question ... Is tomorrow going to be in a trend or in a trading range ???

#32     Feb 21, 2003
  3. Ditch

Ditch

Yeah, if you want to be in the poorhouse as soon as possible.

#33     Feb 21, 2003
  4. Hi spreadem...

When you said +1000 readings in the TICK are basically a good time to look for Short positions...works best in a choppy environment....

did you mean it works best in a trending environment?

Also, can you upload a chart for example of Shorting successfully in a choppy market environment with +1000 TICK readings if your above statement was the way you intended it to be?

Thanks.

P.S. Trade setups via confirmation of certain action in the TICK...increases dramatically that a trade will result in a nice profit for points.

Thus, its an excellent trading tool for Emini traders...I personally don't use the TICK during choppy or tight-trading range environments.

NihabaAshi

#34     Feb 21, 2003
  5. Friday : Tick > +1000 : sold ES short, +2 points
    Friday : Tick > +1000 : sold ES short, +3 points
    Monday no tick readings > +1000
    Tuesday : Tick > +1000 : sold ES short, +1.5 points
    Tuesday : Tick > +1000 : sold ES short, +2.25 points
    Tuesday : Tick > +1000 : sold ES short, -2.0 points, stopped out

Not bad. Simple rule, simple results.

One piece of advice : Be nimble, be quick !!! :D

#35     Feb 25, 2003
  6. No times of entry with those post and no charts :confused:

Also...via the 1min chart interval for the TICK...I got today for Tuesday Feb 25th...

Via QCharts...+1000 tick readings...

2:01pm - 2:08pm est
    2:28pm est
    3:14pm - 3:22pm est
    3:27pm - 3:29pm est
    3:44pm - 3:49pm est

----> I've attached a chart to verify the numbers above what I got from QCharts.

Also, you could'uv done a lot better if you didn't concentrate on the +1000 readings so much and concentrated more on what the pattern in the TICK was doing.

I've seen the TICK hit +1000 in an obvious strong uptrend and quickly go to +1200...stopping out any Short position...as you found out in your last Short position that resulted in a -2 points loss.

(Note: I'm just guessing on your entry times based on what I see on my chart and the +1000 readings)

Very simple price action alone stuff...even within the TICK as a confirmation to what the Eminis are doing.

P.S. I didn't have time to look at your Friday stuff and Monday had no +1000 as you mentioned...but it did have some very nice pattern confirmation to what the Eminis were doing.

Oh...I almost forgot...of all the +1000 readings above for Tuesday...

the Eminis where not in a Choppy price environment.

You mentioned before that the TICK "works best in a choppy market"....if so...why were you trading it during a trending environment?

NihabaAshi

#36     Feb 25, 2003
  7. quote by NihabaAshi :
    When you try to interpret price patterns you begin to think that you can "predict" prices. Prediction is a no-no. Just take what the market gives you.

You'll notice in the 1 min. tick chart that there was a pullback everytime the tick reading was >+1000. That corresponds to a pullback in the Eminis of 2 - 4 points. It works in trending markets too.

I maintain that it works in sideways or choppy markets best. Just watch over the next few days!

#37     Feb 26, 2003
  8. I maintain that TICK being +- 1000 in a choppy market is an oxymoron. :confused: Show me a TICK reading +- 1000 and I'll show you a market that is on the move!

Post a chart of the mkt with a TICK of +-1000 while still remaining choppy. We'd all like to see it and learn.

Cheer,

kp

#38     Feb 26, 2003
  9. abishiai,

I completely agree. Reason why I was wondering if spreadem meant "trending markets".

And based on his reply...he truly meant "choppy market". :cool:

Here's are two charts of TICK and ES on Tuesday February that correlates with the +1000 readings...

TICK

http://www.ttrader.com/mycharts/display.php?p=10031&u=intradaystrategies&a=Trade Analysis 201&id=433

ES03H

http://www.ttrader.com/mycharts/display.php?p=10032&u=intradaystrategies&a=Trade Analysis 201&id=433

That Tuesday afternoon after 2pm est doesn't look like a choppy market to me.

I once saw a choppy market with +1000 readings (their very rare)...but it wasn't Tuesday Feb 25th. :p

P.S. I think spread got the price pattern pullback confused with a choppy market via him saying the following...

"That corresponds to a pullback in the Eminis of 2 - 4 points...I maintain that it works in sideways or choppy markets best.

NihabaAshi

#39     Feb 26, 2003
  10. Nihab,

What type of patterns are you looking for on the TICK chart?

I notice you are plotting what looks like Bollinger Bands and moving averages on it. How do you interpret these in relation to the ES?

Share the wisdom my friend!

Cheer,

kp

#40     Feb 26, 2003