Vitamin D and Immunity... a consideration for cold/flu season + covid

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Scataphagos, Oct 28, 2021.

1. There's a Youtube video featuring a Dr. Roger Seheult... says, "90% of patients in his hospital for Covid are Vitamin D deficient... over the year, I could count on one hand all the Covid patients requiring oxygen that were normal for Vitamin D". FWIW...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    #11     Dec 23, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. "Just vitamins", you say? Here's a thought for you.

Scurvy is a life-threatening condition which can be prevented/cured by "sucking a lime"... vitamin C.

EVERYTHING in your body is "biochemical". It's likely some vitamins are more vital and beneficial than others. Likely Vitamin D is one of them, as it plays a big role in your immune system... along with ~1200 estimated metabolic processes.

Do you know... it's likely the evolution of the entire caucasian race was due mostly to people migrating to "higher latitudes out of Africa"... above the 35th parallel... due mostly to how vital vitamin D is to our health? Ever notice how the Scandinavian people are all fair-skinned? There's an evolutionary reason for that... and it's likely Vitamin D.

#12     Dec 23, 2021
  3. I take them daily out of general principal.

But when you look at the contents, they include several things but at low concentration. In reality, they may be of too low a dose to do much of anything good... then again, "maybe a little of everything" has merit.

#13     Dec 23, 2021
  4. I'm kind of with you on taking pills... I've always been hit-or-miss on taking daily multivitamins. However since I developed gout and had a couple of severe attacks (waaay high on the pain scale... imagine having sand in your joints), I find it easier to remember to take the Allopurinol pills... because I know first-hand what happens if I don't.

The benefits/results of taking/not taking Vitamin D, C, and zinc are not so obvious. Hopefully you come to understand how they fit into the anti-Covid protocol and discipline yourself to take them.

#14     Dec 23, 2021
    murray t turtle and Tomseller like this.
  5. Q.E.D.

Q.E.D.

I didn't check the video, but likely the D level is too low: allopathic medicine considers level of 25 - 35 adequate. I've maintained my level close to 100 for at least 20 years, by taking about 10,000 i.u. of D3 daily. Today one can buy 50,000 i.u. capsules, over-the-counter.

Vit D levels are inversely correlated with almost every degenerative disease.

FYI: One of best general immune enhancing supplements, including anti covid, is melatonin. But not the "standard," doses. I take 120 mg nightly, again for health reasons, not for sleeping per se.

#15     Dec 25, 2021
    TreeFrogTrader likes this.
  6. %%
    Exactly; one mom felt badly after taking them[not @ a meal]+ that'$ why they are meant to be taken @ meals/LOL:D:D

#16     Dec 27, 2021
  7. Quite so.

And we can look at this development from its impact on African Americans along with the migration impact on caucasions.

The current mode of thinking in the U.S. is racialize the alleged fact that covid is more lethal and problematic for African-Americans, and script says that this is because of deficiences in medical care for blacks and variations of that theme.

Yet it is a fact that vitamin d deficiency levels in the African-American population are almost twice that of caucasions, and this is without even getting into the fact that the level that is considered to deficient is rediculously low and about what is needed to maintain life rather than health.

I am going out on a limb here and might get banned on twitter if I had an account, but I am going to say openly that many African-Americans are descended from African people and have dark skin depending on the level of African ancestors. So, you have summarized the impact on caucasions in regard to melanin and vitamin d by moving north. But more recent arrivals- by recent, I mean in the last 2-3 hundred years still have the melanin level of their African ancestors. The darkness of the skin is related to the abundance of melanin which serves the very valuable purpose of screening out uva/uvb levels as they are in Africa. Fine so far. Except that might be your ancestors but you personally live in Detroit. So you get you get a triple whammy compared to being in Africa: 1)Your melanin level is very high and stands ready to screen out most of the rays that you can get, 2) There are not many rays to get in Detroit in the winter, and 3) Even if there were a lot of rays, it is so frigging cold that you need to keep most of your skin covered up for months. Not good.

Yeh. Caucasions have vitamin d deficiencey reasons, and blacks have some powerful reasons as well. All of us who have ancestors who migrated out of the Serengeti in the last couple hundred thousand years (and that is all of us) are at risk unless your culture has worked out solutions.

You might say, okay white boy, what about the Inuit/Eskmos then? They would be totally screwed blue and tattooed and dead then according to that theory. Nope. Fish, and livers of seals, polar bears, etc have massive concentrations of vitamin d in their flesh and livers. In the case of polar bear livers, it is just frigging phenomenal. What I said was, "unless your culture has a plan". And they do. Just like the Swedes and Finns do with their various fish concoctions. Problem is, nowadays, their kids want kale and tofu. Then their Vitamin D levels start going south.

#17     Jan 8, 2022
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You guys do realize that there are other people of color in the world that are impacted more by Covid that are not African Americans nor do they have darker skin color ???

In addition, communities in the world that are mainly people of color but more isolated from the rest of the world...Northern Hemisphere or Southern Hemisphere have fewer Covid outbreaks/infections until some infected idiot from outside of the community travels into the community for whatever reason.

:(

Simply, considering the word Americans have been mentioned often...a community somewhere in North America...living in isolation will have fewer Covid outbreaks/infections regardless of ethnicity or skin color until someone brings Covid in from the outside of that isolated community.

Unfortunately, governments in both the United States and Canada strangely were against isolated communities closing their roads to outsiders during the Pandemic so far.
    • In fact, both governments have gone to Federal court about the issue.
    Now guess what happened when roads to isolated communities were re-open to those from outside (e.g. travelers) during this Pandemic while the isolated community had limited Hospitals, Clinics, Doctors, Nurses and Medical Supplies...

:mad:

A more simple way to look at this...Covid is hitting heavily more densely populated areas and areas with multiple travel routes of entering that community...urban communities have historically been hit the hardest in all prior Pandemics and again in this Covid Pandemic.

Therefore, a person that resides in a more populated community that has many people entering/leaving the community...its a person that should take immune system boost supplements, wear face mask, and get vaccinated to minimize the risk of a Covid Hospitalization.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    #18     Jan 8, 2022
  9. [QUOTE="TreeFrogTrader, post: 5519300, member:

The current mode of thinking in the U.S. is racialize the alleged fact that covid is more lethal and problematic for African-Americans...
    ....... what about the Inuit/Eskmos then? They would be totally screwed blue and tattooed and dead then according to that theory. Nope. Fish, and livers of seals, polar bears, etc have massive concentrations of vitamin d in their flesh and livers. In the case of polar bear livers, it is just frigging phenomenal. What I said was, "unless your culture has a plan". And they do. Just like the Swedes and Finns do with their various fish concoctions. Problem is, nowadays, their kids want kale and tofu. Then their Vitamin D levels start going south.[/QUOTE]
    %%
    Sounds like eating a polar bear liver would be a much bigger problem than kale:D:D
    Actually vitamins are made to be eaten with meals.
    NOT a racial statement/LOL and actually a polar bear is black skinned, check out thier nose area + google or duck duck go that it.
    Sure they have white hair/white bear look. God surely has sense of humor= they were created that way to have cool camo[snow white] but black skin catches heat:caution::caution:

#19     Jan 10, 2022
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Bearskin Lake First Nation

I've vacationed there once with my family many years ago. A great Indigenous community that has an extremely high Omega-3 diet (living off seal meat, fish, and such) just North of Thunder Bay.

Currently, they've been hit very hard (over 50% of their residences...that's 1 out of 2 infected with Covid) plus high hospitalization.
    • Simply, don't be intentionally naive about the dark color of people's skins that's impacted the most in this Pandemic... it's not a critical variable in comparison to social-economic conditions.
    Thus, it's more about access to healthcare resources and other "systemic problems" such as access to clean water, access to healthcare, and overcrowded housing.

Early in the Pandemic, Indigenous communities like Bearskin Lake First Nation erected barricades to block access to reserves in an effort to prevent residents, especially elders, from contracting the virus. The barricades had one purpose only...to block people who aren't part of the community from entering its territory and spreading COVID-19.

The government managed to get the barricades removed...they now have a crazy Covid outbreak that requires them to be dependent upon the government to send in Canadian Armed Forces members to help the community that essentially has almost the entire town in their homes in quarantine.

Bearskin-Lake-First-Nation.png

Anyone that's been to Indigenous communities like Bearskin will know the economic devastation that quarantining an entire isolated community will do...it forces them to be dependent again on the government.
    Recently, I posted an image of close friends that I grew up with (all of us from military families, attended private catholic school) as a kid for the few years when we all lived in Kentucky. A very close friendship developed between us all and we maintain it today many years later.

They recently (last fall), attended a weekend football celebration at the University Notre Dame (their alma mater) because their teenagers now attend Notre Dame even though we all now live in different parts of North America.

We get together like this at least once a year although for the past two years I was not able to travel back to the U.S. because of the Pandemic.
    • Some in the picture are Indigenous and they've all have had Covid at least 2x except for one...my brother (a doctor residing in South Dakota...never has been infected with Covid).
    Look closely at the color of their skins in the photo in the link below. Also, everyone in the photo has a high fish diet that includes a ton of vitamin D and Omega-3...naturally in their diets. It's a diet they've had since they were little kids.
    Don't misunderstand, I strongly believe in Vitamin D and any immune system boost to help fight Covid. I myself have a very high fish diet (it's expensive) because I don't live in a location in which I can live off the food source of the nearby mighty St. Lawrence river.

Yet, Covid has hit the Indigenous community heavily along the St. Lawrence river...individuals that are not as fortunate as I am.

My point is, don't be naive to think it's all about skin color. It's more about your socio-economic status and other variables that many continue to ignore in this Pandemic here in North America.

Heck, accordingly to you guys...Baron (ET owner) would be African-American and not getting enough Vitamin D as a bodybuilder that has been infected with Covid 3x. :D

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    #20     Jan 11, 2022